Primary light: How best to carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gedmondson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a UK D8 eLED+ with pistol grip. I am not a big fan of it hanging from my wrist via the lanyard til I need it. Anyone have a carry tip that works best for them?

I use my light for most of each dive, but I start and end the dive with it clipped to my lower right D-ring using a bolt snap on the lanyard. On good vis days I may return it to the D-ring during the dive, in that case I need to be aware its dangling and not drag it across all the critters.

I have it clipped to a D ring. I don't need to unclip it to use it, but when I have it with me It's in my hand the majority of the dive. I only leave it hang when I'm first getting into the water, and when I'm on my safety stop until I get out.

I have the C4 and a carabeaner will go through the handle where the lanyard is so you can clip it to your BC without it floping all over the place or I just stuff it in my pocket

I clip my primary light (UK C4) to a d-ring on my left side (me southpaw). It's usualy in my hand unless I need to let go of it. If I do have to let it go it pretty much stays where I left it. I also carry my secondary light (Ikelite Pca) in a "cross draw" manner stuffed between my BC beltstrap and my sizable gut. The dunlop effect holds in securely in place.

I am not a big fan of it hanging from my wrist via the lanyard til I need it.

I'm not sure why not- except maybe that you might not be using that system to its best advantage.

The wristlet (kind of like a nylon/velcro doggie collar around your wrist)- that should have the flashlight clipped snuggly to it.

If you un-clip the flashlight from that wristlet- that's when the coily cord remains as the only connection between the two devices.

"Hanging it by the lanyard" is not the way it was intended. The lanyard is just a safety.

The system works quite well for general open water diving. If entanglement is really an issue, and this should always be determined on each dive, mission specific basis, other methods might be well advised.

If it's just for a Caribbean night dive, the coily lanyard, when used correctly, works just fine.

k.i.s.s.:
ScubaSteve2000:
stuffed between my BC beltstrap and my sizable gut. The dunlop effect holds in securely in place.
Smart.

I’ve got a similar Pistol grip and have a Snap Bolt tied onto it. Clip it onto a rear D on entry and exit. Paranoid perhaps but just don’t want it smacking me in the face or getting beat up or hooked on a ladder. I’m very adverse to dingleberries and also the best place I’ve found so far, to keep it when not using in dive mode.

I have a UK D8 eLED+ with pistol grip. I am not a big fan of it hanging from my wrist via the lanyard til I need it. Anyone have a carry tip that works best for them?

Locking retractor works for my D8R. i clip it to right chest d-ring so it doesnt dangle or interfere. Locking retractor also needs i never have to unclip it from my body for use so no risk of dropping it as there is with a lanyard.

I lost a very expensive light once while walking through heavy surf on a shore dive. The light was on a wrist lanyard and was pulled off my wrist by the wave action.

Now I use a retractor and a swivel snap on my light. I clip both onto a D-ring, and when ready to use the light I unclip the swivel snap, leaving the retractor clipped to the D-ring. That way, if I drop the light accidentally it won't go too far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom