Primary Long Hose Length: 5' or 7'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there a way (aside from buying one of each) to tell which length would be ideal for my primary in a Hogarthian-style gear configuration modified for open water? I dive a dry suit with no can light. I'm about six feet tall and medium build.

Since you mentioned Bill Main's configuration, you might as well know that in an overhead environment the long hose has to be long enough for two divers to pass through a restriction while sharing gas. You will be in open water hence the reg sharing duties will simply be made easier by a long hose... five feet should be ample and a little easier to manage for you.

Is the hose routing the same for a 5' hose? Under the right armpit, around the left side of the head, looping behind the neck and over the right side?

Yep. I use 5 ft with my open water drysuit rig. Love it!

Yes the hose routing is the same.

The big difference between the 5' and the 7' in backmount setups is one has to find some way to hook the 7' hose somewhere to keep it from hanging loose. Worth pointing out that smaller frame people need use a 5' or 6' hose hooked off in the same way larger people use a 7' hose hooked off, and really tall people might need longer than 7'. This is both a routing issue (what do ya do with the length) and an airsharing issue (is the hose long enough to line up two divers.)

I am a huge fan of 5' hoses, and have only used 7' hoses when specifically required to for class requirements, and have fought to have those class requirements changed to allow 5' hoses, because some of my students, as mentioned, simply cannot safely use a 7' hose. Personally, I have only found people having problems with 7 foot hoses*, and thankfully never seen them be necessary.

Really, only in specific gear setups does the 7' hose not introduce its own unique hazards. While on the other hand, there is no gear setup that a 5' cannot easily just be thrown on to, and used without issue. So 5' unless

When switching to strictly OW (no tech), a 5' hose is practical except for really small people who sometimes need the 4' for the same no hook looping.

If you are thining about braided hoses (MiFlex and the like), be aware that they introduce some wildcards into the equation (floatiness, memory effect) that are exacerbated by long hoses, and with those you might have to find a way to hook off even the shorter hose lengths to keep them in tight. For me. that's not an issue because I mount my SPG over my right shoulder so the 5 footer braided hose hooks under it.

* Entanglement is the basic problem. Because a 7 footer requires hooking off into a blind spot. If it gets free, it is not noticed and then if the loop gets entangled and the reg is pulled from the mouth, that reg can be more than a body length away. That same length which might be useful/required in a lined-up OOA situation becomes an entanglement that can be more than a body length away. And unfortunately those 'if's tend to line up

On top of that, because of the way 5 foot hose get routed, it takes real work to trap a 5' hose under a right mounted deco tank. With 7', all it takes is wearing a tank on the right to trap the hose. With the general move for new technical divers to wearing all stages on the left, that might not be an issue for you, though.

Yes the hose routing is the same.

The big difference between the 5' and the 7' in backmount setups is one has to find some way to hook the 7' hose somewhere to keep it from hanging loose. Worth pointing out that smaller frame people need use a 5' or 6' hose hooked off in the same way larger people use a 7' hose hooked off, and really tall people might need longer than 7'. This is both a routing issue (what do ya do with the length) and an airsharing issue (is the hose long enough to line up two divers.)

I am a huge fan of 5' hoses, and have only used 7' hoses when specifically required to for class requirements, and have fought to have those class requirements changed to allow 5' hoses, because some of my students, as mentioned, simply cannot safely use a 7' hose. Personally, I have only found people having problems with 7 foot hoses*, and thankfully never seen them be necessary.

Really, only in specific gear setups does the 7' hose not introduce its own unique hazards. While on the other hand, there is no gear setup that a 5' cannot easily just be thrown on to, and used without issue. So 5' unless

When switching to strictly OW (no tech), a 5' hose is practical except for really small people who sometimes need the 4' for the same no hook looping.

If you are thining about braided hoses (MiFlex and the like), be aware that they introduce some wildcards into the equation (floatiness, memory effect) that are exacerbated by long hoses, and with those you might have to find a way to hook off even the shorter hose lengths to keep them in tight. For me. that's not an issue because I mount my SPG over my right shoulder so the 5 footer braided hose hooks under it.

* Entenglement is the basic problem. Because a 7 footer requires hooking off into a blind spot, when it gets free, it is not noticed and then when the loop gets entangled and the reg is pulled from the mouth, that reg can be more than a body length away. That same length which might be useful/required in a lined-up OOA situation becomes an entanglement that can be more than a body length away.

BJ....What are you talking about....when you say "one has to find some way to hook the 7' hose somewhere to keep it from hanging loose"????? The hose goes down, under either a can light, or under a knife, or under a pocket, then around in front of the chest and around the neck into the mouth...the necklace reg is the backup. Pretty much everyone on SB knows this....and pretty much all divers in South Florida have "seen this"....How can you make a comment like this?

Yes the hose routing is the same...

Not quite.

... and have fought to have those class requirements changed to allow 5' hoses, because some of my students, as mentioned, simply cannot safely use a 7' hose. Personally, I have only found people having problems with 7 foot hoses*, and thankfully never seen them be necessary.

Why have you fought to change something that is required for two divers to exit a restriction when sharing gas?

And I'd suggest that having problems with stowing a long hose is a function of poor training or technique rather than the length of the hose.

---------- Post added June 26th, 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Is the hose routing the same for a 5' hose? Under the right armpit, around the left side of the head, looping behind the neck and over the right side?

Yes, but with the exception that someone your size is going to find there is not a great deal of slack to tuck the bight of the hose around a knife, can light or whatever.

Agree with Steve on this. I have had OW students elect to train with 7 ft hoses in BPW's once I have explained it and that's what they do their checkouts in. Yet to see one have a problem. All it takes is proper instruction and time to practice it before moving out of confined water.

Another indication of someone who has very poor understanding of how to use/configure/teach a long hose set up.

I will say though that for OW diving I have had some people in the 6ft tall range who are also broad find a six foot hose to work better for them.

Just go with 7ft, stuff the extra under waist strap. the extra 2 ft really won't cause any inconvinience.

BJ....What are you talking about....when you say "one has to find some way to hook the 7' hose somewhere to keep it from hanging loose"????? The hose goes down, under either a can light, or under a knife, or under a pocket, then around in front of the chest and around the neck into the mouth...the necklace reg is the backup. Pretty much everyone on SB knows this....and pretty much all divers in South Florida have "seen this"....How can you make a comment like this?

Like I said, the 7' hose needs a specific gear setup to work. Quoting you: (under either a can light, or under a knife, or under a pocket). None of which is part of 99% of the gear made and used. Including the OP who specific mentioned he is not carrying a can light.

The 5' does not need any specific setup (except on short divers). It just goes under the arm and loops around.

Back
Top Bottom