Primary/Octo question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A fine and very good combination. Many of us prefer to have the same reg as a primary and an octo so the parts are the same. While the 250 is no longer made, it is a perfectly fine regulator. They (marketers) sell octos usually as a "step down" and I don't know why. I'd want something as good or better in the event of needing it in a situation, not an under performing regulator. Kind of like a full sized spare tire vs. a space saver spare. Which do you want with 200 miles to go?

FWIW, I dive all the combinations of 109/156/G250 as primary and octo. Nice regs.

Exactly as and what you say, sir.

FWIW I use a 40" primary with a 70 degree adaptor and a 22" bungeee back up. I mostly dive 109/156/G250. I did own some G260s, I found them a tad smoother than a G250 but not by much. I have a ton of G250s and parts so sold the G260s. I dive matching 2nds.

Last edited:
There is no difference between a "primary" and an "octo" reg

The "octo" should be as good if no better than the primary. Because in emergency it is the one that either the donor or receiver(diver in distress) will use.
I always wonder how many divers had actually test/use his/her "octo" in a unfavourable conditions?

Actually there are reasons to make them different, at least in the past. It's about convenience vs reliability. Unbalanced regs were considered low performance and less convenient to breathe from, but also more reliable (because mechanically simpler) and less prone to free-flow and therefore preferred for the emergency backup reg. They are cheaper too but that was not the reason why to pick them for the backup reg. See for example WKPP -- Equipment/DIR

I use BP&W and also like and use octo/inflators most of the time. I haven’t had the chance to try a G260 but the G250 is one of the best out there, I would probably just hand down another one.

@leadduck articles are ancient with a lot of outdated information in there. Note information in there about using the IP to adjust how the second stage breathes, no one does that. Far better to have matching second stages where the high performance, balanced-adjustable second stages can actually be de-tuned more than the unbalanced/nonadjustable second stages, and then tuned out to where they breathe much better when needed.

@Kasey Kohler the angle adapters are personal preference. I find the omniswivels much more comfortable and Cave Adventurers sells one made by the guys that produce a bunch of regulators for like $25 so that's a good option. The scubapro elbow is quite nice and if that makes you happier, then go for it

@tbone1004: I wrote "in the past". This article is from the early DIR days by GI3 himself. Historically, picking different regs was recommended; alternatively having the backup reg de-tuned when serviced. But still today, GUE's Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers says "Many divers prefer a high-performance, balanced, second stage as their primary regulator, and a slightly lower performance, unbalanced, second stage as their backup. This proven configuration gives a diver the best of both worlds."
I saw you had this same discussion already with PfcAJ at
https://www.scubaboard.com/communit...d-for-octo-necklace-primary-reg-colors.491089
just for reference; I can't add anything new to that.

I use BP&W and also like and use octo/inflators most of the time. I haven’t had the chance to try a G260 but the G250 is one of the best out there, I would probably just hand down another one.

I’m curious what is your octo/inflated setup like did it come with the wing? What brand is it? I’ve never seen a octo/inflator on a BP/W setup.

I’m curious what is your octo/inflated setup like did it come with the wing? What brand is it? I’ve never seen a octo/inflator on a BP/W setup.
I don’t let brands get in the way, I set my stuff the way I like it. I have dive rite, scubapro and halcyon wings I have scubapro and atomic octo/inflators, most of these use standard 1” hoses with generic inflators, the octo just replaces the inflator, I use clamps most of the time rather than zip ties. Go for the bp/w and use the air 2 since you have it or not, switch between all methods depending on what sort of diving I’m doing or if I want to test out a different second without commitment in which case I’ll run the long hose and have 3 sources of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom