Printing Service - Custom tables??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceCube

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to make custom-made quick reference tables, charts, checklists, etc., that are waterproof to take with me on a dive. I like the plastic card that the PADI air/blue table is printed on. The PADI nitrox tables are printed the same material.

Do any of you know of any printing service that would produce one copy of something like that for cheap?

The quick & dirty solution would be simply printing whatever you want to print on a regular paper and then laminating it. While they might not take so much abuse (they don't like being bent too much), it would work.

Anyone capable of doing what you're asking for any sort of reasonable price would probably have to have a larger order than one. Most of what you would pay is one-time setup fee, I would imagine.

That looks like a great solution. Have you used it before? How durable is it? It says puncture-resistant, but how much does it stand up?

I am using laminated docs underwater when needed. I bought a very inexpensive laminating machine (something like 20-30 EURO and it came with a cutting device and ~60 plastic foils).

It works fine - none of the laminated documents that I made this way had any problem underwater until now. Inside the plastic I have laminated standard A4 papers printed on color laser printer.

I used it for deco tables, for fish pictures, quick computer reference sheet (when using a new computer), and everything else that you might imagine.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the National Geographic inkjet paper off of the site diversteve suggested. Seems cheap enough to try. I was a little skeptical about how inkjet ink and waterproof paper could ever mix (inkjet ink being water based). I did a search on amazon for the same product to find a review. One person stated that 10 minutes after printing, he ran the paper under the faucet and it worked great. The ink didn't smear.

I'll experiment with this and let everyone know how it works out.

Thanks again.

I tried out the paper last week and it worked out fairly well. As a test, I scanned and printed out the PADI air table. The the ink doesn't smear when I put it in the sink. The colors were bright and no bleeding. It did smear slightly when I rubbed the printed areas with my fingers when the page was wet. Using a pencil eraser over the wet page did a good job removing the smearing, but erasing over printed areas didn't affect the underlying printing much other than fading it slightly. The package did say that excess ink may lift when wet.

Overall, it worked well and good enough for scuba diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom