Pro QD Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segundo3000gt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've got the standard Pro QD BCD. I'm getting geared up for diving next summer. The BCD has two holes above the logo on the left pocket.

bc_proqd_LARGER.jpg
bc_proqd_LARGER.jpg

For anyone that has a Pro QD or knows, is this something that can be used to tie on gear? I was thinking a dive knife could be held on by utilizing them. Might be a dumb question but I'm just trying to figure out the best setup without having multiple retractors hanging off of my BCD.

The holes on the left side are intended for use with a knife sheath. The deep sea knives are the most common seen. Your LDS might have other options.

Since it appears that these eyelets penetrate through to the inside of the pocket, you might also be able to use gear retractors through them to sling other equipment to your BC as well.

The holes are indeed for Deep Sea brand knives, which I believe is an Aqualung brand. My wife and I use Deep Sea knives on our BCs, mine being a Pro QD. The knife includes a special nut that attaches through the gromet holes and can be removed easily for cleaning.

awesome. thanks for the responses guys. i'll look into the deep sea knives. also, the retractor idea makes sense too. there is a clip on the inside of the pocket for attaching things and i was trying to figure out what you might be able to use that for. also, there seems to be a velcro strap on the inside that can hold something down. not quite sure what i could use that for yet.

On the picture you posted, look at the bottom of the image, just up and left of the bottom D-ring and you can just make out another grommet.

That is for a gear retractor, the velcro strap in the pocket is the hold the retractor body in place within the pocket.

HTH

Dom

okay this leads to another question. if i have a retractor like this one:

031648_big.jpg

how do i go about getting it threaded through the grommet? i haven't looked closely at any retractors yet but unless you can take the clip off i don't see how you'd be able to get the line through the grommet

You need to take the clip off.

What I did was extend the line and wrap it round a pencil a couple of times to hold it. Now you can undo the clip (probably just a couple of small screws) and feed the line out through the grommet.

Reassemble the clip, unwind the line from the pencil and you're done.

Dom

When I first started out I had a QD and mounted a knife on the pocket.

Lost the knife the first dive.

I say get a cheap knife, $10, that you can throw away or don't care that it gets lost and place it in a simple sheath onb your waist belt.

Back
Top Bottom