Probably saved myself $2K today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am serious about bringing my dry suit to my next tropical dive vacation. It is not much heavier than my 3mm and last time I was finding myself cold close to the end of my dives. I find dry suits easier to get into and out and they do a much better job keeping me warm.

When you dive cold water there is a lot of additional stuff that a warm water diver will not have to go through. Putting on your dry suit is one of the steps that we catch up on compared to tropical wetsuit divers.

Say whatever you want about drysuit vs wetsuit. I've head all of it before.
I just don't know any diver who went from enjoying diving in a drysuit to enjoying diving in a wetsuit.
It's really a one-way progression.

I just don't know any diver who went from enjoying diving in a drysuit to enjoying diving in a wetsuit.

Assuming it was the cold that drove you to a drysuit I'd agree. But when water gets warmer I'm back in a wetsuit with a smile.

I did.
I was not enjoying diving in a drysuit and I love diving in a wetsuit.
I found drysuits to be a rediculously overpriced pain in the ass.
Drysuits go against every fiber of my minimalist ideals.
For the type of diving I do wetsuits are the best solution.

However I have to remember, this IS scubaboard so I don't expect too many people to understand.

Including yourself Eric

You are a human and your body is adapted to life on the land. Like everyone else you live in a very homogenous environment for pressure, temperature and your body and metabolism are adapted to be good in that. Get in cold water in the 50's F and you will die after a time while being very comfortable in air. A drysuit recreates that air environment while we dive to keep us warm and minimizes the differences between the environment we venture into and explore and the one we all by default exist in.

Sure, I absolutely LOVE diving in a shorty or even without anything but shorts when I'm in 30c water - but when your face go numb in the water, Ill sure as hell be in a drysuit...

Including yourself Eric

You are a human and your body is adapted to life on the land. Like everyone else you live in a very homogenous environment for pressure, temperature and your body and metabolism are adapted to be good in that. Get in cold water in the 50's F and you will die after a time while being very comfortable in air. A drysuit recreates that air environment while we dive to keep us warm and minimizes the differences between the environment we venture into and explore and the one we all by default exist in.
Well, there's a difference of opinion then because I believe people can adapt and adjust to some degree to their environment. I don't need to take my warm dry comfortable place on land with me, I enjoy splashing into a wet cool world and bathing in seawater, that's part of the point. For the short time I immerse, the protection of the thermal layer of a nice thick wetsuit in my 50 degree average water temp gives me plenty of comfort while I enjoy the great feeling of being wet and being bonded closer to the environment , not separated.
When I dove dry I felt cheated that my body didn't get to get wet. Sweat doesn't count.

But never the less, thank you for your OPINION.

Well, there's a difference of opinion then because I believe people can adapt and adjust to some degree to their environment. I don't need to take my warm dry comfortable place on land with me, I enjoy splashing into a wet cool world and bathing in seawater, that's part of the point. For the short time I immerse, the protection of the thermal layer of a nice thick wetsuit in my 50 degree average water temp gives me plenty of comfort while I enjoy the great feeling of being wet and being bonded closer to the environment , not separated.
When I dove dry I felt cheated that my body didn't get to get wet. Sweat doesn't count.

But never the less, thank you for your OPINION.

Problem is, New England water is in the 50's for about 4 months a year which also has decent topside temps. The other 8 months, you don't want to bond so close with the environment.

Problem is, New England water is in the 50's for about 4 months a year

I've recorded 50*F+ water temps in MA from May through November. Even New Year's Day is only 45*F

@ Malpaso
You said that there was no advantages for you

I was no warmer (50*F water) than diving wet
It takes a lot longer to suit up
It takes more weight

But then you still want one if the money was right ?:confused:

If I could get one for a few hundred dollars complete, I probably would.

From the way you behave to drysuit ppl i came to the conclusion that until the end of the year you will be a drysuit owner and a newborn diehard fan.:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom