Problem with Mares avanti quattro +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is looks like is the little tab is catching the clip. You can probably cut that tab off and it will help out. It is supposed to prevent the clip from over rotating and coming off, but when it is on ur foot that is not an issue and is really not needed.

I can't say much about the bit attached to the fin itself, but as for the bungees... I put bungees on my quattros 2 years ago, and they've started to crack, are sticky, and basically as you describe, granted it was 2 years before it happened but, they were fine, then all of a sudden they weren't. I'm waiting for them to snap (i checked mine when a colleague had his sticky bungees snap). Somebody at the LDS called Mares, and apparently the response was effectively "we've never heard of that, it must be your fault" despite Mares advertising the bungees as being resistant to pretty much everything.

I contemplated putting springs on mine but the metal buckle overtime cuts into the posts and eventually amputates them. I stuck with bungees and just carry a spare set. I wear mine on the loose side so the bungees don't get a lot of stress. The jet style pin or Hollis F range have the best and most durable attachment I think. I wish others would adopt the same.

Last edited:
Those little tabs that protrude from the post are what cause the strap connector to ride up and chew away at the wider part of the post. Those tabs serve no useful purpose - Mares' Power Plana fins also have a bungee strap, but they have omitted that stupid little tab on this newer fin design. The posts on my quattro + were quite eroded before I decided to cut them off. Now the straps stay on the fin, and I am much happier with them.

I had the same problem with some mares x-stream but I pretty much just ignored that. If you have a mares shop in town, bring the fins in and ask about it. If there's a mares event at the shop go on that day. I also had a torn fin (due completely to my own fault and not a defect). Brought my fins in during an event (at the LDS recommendation). The mares rep glanced at them and traded them out on the spot for a new pair. They were almost 2 years old and had only a 1 year warranty. If you can get the attention of a Mares rep, those guys do go above and beyond to take care of customers.

I had a similar problem to the one mentioned here-not the damaged posts, but the softening and degradation of the bungee straps on my Avanti Quattro +. I called MARES and was transferred to the warranty department. They were somewhat familiar with the issue of occasional degradation of the bungee rubber straps, but did not have a fix-other than replacement. I've had my fins for several years, but they had no problem replacing the bungee straps at no charge to me.

They let me keep my old straps, so I cleaned them with various soaps, detergents-to no effect on the sticky area on the bungees. I applied WD-40, 303 protectant-also with minimal effect.
Then, I left them out in the sun for 2 days. This seems to have arrested the process.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom