problems at GBR, recommended i post here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. My first time on the GBR, I experienced horrible sea sickness after I got back on dry land. The room swam around me for at least two nights. It was awful.
2. My first time on the GBR, everyone was awfully seasick. My son threw up all the first night.
3. IMHO, buddy diving is the worst. It sounds like you spend a lot of time worrying about where your buddy was instead of worrying about where you were. (This is the no no opinion on buddy diving.)
4. I've gotten lost in taking photography and found myself at a whole lot less air than I thought and I have close to 1000 dives. It happens to the best of us. With experience you learn what to do.
5. I have horrible sea sickness. I find that getting in the water (except at safety stops) helps. I'd suggest if you're feeling sea sick try getting in the water as soon as possible. Mine clears up immediately.
6. I can't take Dramamine. It makes me too sleepy. On Dramamine I can sleep 30 hours at a go. I use scopolamine or Kwells. There is also something that one can get in Asia but I don't know what it is that is really great. I've gotten it from boats and ships.

My advice is if you want to keep diving is to go to Florida and dive on a one or two dive boat. I love Quiescence in Key Largo. Or do a bit of shore diving in florida or Bonaire. Get more experience so you feel comfortable diving. The more experience you get the better able you will be to deal with the crap that happens. And the less panicked you will be.

Good luck

Thanks, all good advice! I am still struggling with symptoms and its 2.5 months out. The really bad motion sickness and nausea lasted a month. After that it's been visual. Except driving a car...there I feel great! For a while it was the only relief.

I was that person you describe with the motion sickness, and always got in the water fast. The summer before last, it was odd. I did a ton of travel through Europe, and all my motion sickness issues where gone. Never got sick on a plane or boat. It was a beautiful surprise, but noted as weird...didn't give it much thought. I wonder if it was just gearing up to torture me in this new way. They say it is this mal disembarkment ( never heard of before) , if it lasts more than two days.

I now lean torward believing that this affected the dive. Mainly because after the 3 day cod hole trip...I was crazy tired the last 4 days. I struggled to make it through dinner, where everybody else was fine. I've struggled with fatigue since being home...reading tells me this is a marker for this thing. The brain is working overtime to learn to compensate I guess.

Sorry for the long ruminations...

Here is an explanation of his diagnosis of a very rare conditon:

Mal de Débarquement

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom