Problems with ReefMaster mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coasterp

Registered
Reaction score
I have one of these cameras. Actually it's my second. The first was replaced by Sealife due to a defect. This one also appears to have a problem. I am able to occasionally get really good pictures. Then there are others that have a lot of graininess and you can see small red and green dots. This was only happening in the pictures at first. Videos always came out fine. I have now had videos show up with the same graniness and colored dots. Has anyone else had this go on? I have been talking to a Sealife tech. What he has told me appears to work when I get a good picture. However, the camera will all of a sudden start taking bad pictures. All the pictures and videos have been in a pool. Have any of you had a problem with low powered batteries causing poor pictures? Also what batteries do you suggest. I have tried Duracell and Energizer but they seam to die fast. All help is appreciated.

i have a reefmaster mini, am really new with it........only been on a couple of dives with it, but i just bought the digital pro flash to use and am going on vacation in july. reagarding batteries.........if you use alkaline batteries you should probably use those extra energy ones. OR........use NImh rechargeable batteries. i just bought rechargeable batteries and the charger for mine.

I forgot to mention I do have the external flash and have been using it.

I asked about rechargeable batteries on Non-Diving forum once and got some great advice: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...02-nimh-aa-batteries-can-someone-explain.html

I'm sure the Sea Life chargers and batteries are good quality, but the batteries I got at Wal-mart were not. I now get my rechargeables at Thomas Distributing on the advice of professional photographers. I love the conditioning charger!! :thumb:

I don't know if a dying battery could cause your problem, maybe - does it ever happen with strong batteries? For regular batteries, go Platinum.

Pictures do seem to be better at the start of a session and then get worse. My latest problem was that the videos turned out really bad toward the end of a session. This had NOT happened before. I am starting to become really convinced I have another problem camera. The problem appears random on this one though. The first one never took a good picture and being as sealife replaced it, I know it was defective. This one appeared OK at first but then started acting up. I know taking pictures underwater is tricky as I have been reading a lot here. However, I am in a pool and am able to get good - great pictures occasionally but then get really bad ones. I could understand that in open water but it seems odd in a pool. At this point I am just looking for advice to ensure it is not me.

Pictures do seem to be better at the start of a session and then get worse. My latest problem was that the videos turned out really bad toward the end of a session. This had NOT happened before. I am starting to become really convinced I have another problem camera. The problem appears random on this one though. The first one never took a good picture and being as sealife replaced it, I know it was defective.
Actually, they'll replace it even without being sure it needed to be replaced to keep the customer as happy as possible as quickly as possible. They did that for me, even tho I figured out the problem was operator error.
This one appeared OK at first but then started acting up. I know taking pictures underwater is tricky as I have been reading a lot here. However, I am in a pool and am able to get good - great pictures occasionally but then get really bad ones. I could understand that in open water but it seems odd in a pool. At this point I am just looking for advice to ensure it is not me.
Have you tried different SD cards and reformatting that one?

Were the batteries low when the problem happened?

I have been using the same SD card. Its a 1 gig. I do have a 256mb laying around. I will give it a try also just to see. Don, what was the operator error that was causing your problem and what were you seeing happen?

I have been using the same SD card. Its a 1 gig. I do have a 256mb laying around. I will give it a try also just to see. Don, what was the operator error that was causing your problem and what were you seeing happen?
Yeah, reformat the big card, try the other one. You didn't answer my battery question...?

You can get extra cards for as low as $5.35 deliver for a gig here Secure Digital Flash Memory Card (SD Card) but be careful what you order. That company does not provide much info or warnings and their return policies are extremely limited. Double check specs of products on manufactures sites as compared to camera specs.

I ordered an 8 gb SD card from them thinking I could use it for video @ 640 wide on my Canon A540 not realizing that cameras have limits, and beyond that - the Sea Life and Canon manuals do not accurately address this. Most cameras have 2 gb limits it seems. So now I have an 8 gb card for whenever I may buy a HC rated camera, but the value of that card will drop significantly in that time. My card readers won't accept it either; pretty much a waste - should ebay it.

My Op-error had to do with lens fogging and I don't want to hijack your thread with a detailed discussion of that. :no

Coasterp: Answer Don's battery question!

I am not sure what question about batteries you are reffering to. I did mention in my opening that I have used Duracell and Energizer. They were always fresh when I threw them in the camera. I can get about 40-50 pictures out of them. I am typically using the flash and do take some video also.

Back
Top Bottom