Problems with ReefMaster mini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the same camera and haven't had that problem. I think Dandy Don is on to something.

I started to look at the info. Don supplied based on the last couple of responses. My brain started to hurt though.:confused6 Based on what I did get out of it, I went to the Radio Shack website and found these: RadioShack.com - Power & Batteries: Rechargeable batteries: 1.2V/2000mAh “AA” Ni-MH Batteries - 4-Pk

I figured out pretty quick that mAh probably stood for milli-amp hours or something close to it. A google search proved me right. These are not the absolute highest rated batteries you can get obviously but I think they might be worth a try. I would order fromThomas but my problem is I can only get into a pool one more time (tues. 5/27) before I head to Florida next week. I really want to get this resolved. You guys think these would work. I would obviously get the appropriate charger also.

Any batteries will work.. You just need to test them out first.

I have used my mini with Energizer rechargeable and get about 50 plus pictures out of them. I don't know how long it would last using video - haven't try video yet. I have not noticed any difficulty with operation or bad photos other than operator bad photos

Really? Only 50?

I have the same camera and haven't had that problem. I think Dandy Don is on to something.
:lol:​
Uh no medals here, I'm no authority, but I try to pass along info I have learded from the wise and experienced we do have here. I'm still not sure if it's the batteries, card or camera but want to help address all three.
I started to look at the info. Don supplied based on the last couple of responses. My brain started to hurt though.:confused6 Based on what I did get out of it, I went to the Radio Shack website and found these: RadioShack.com - Power & Batteries: Rechargeable batteries: 1.2V/2000mAh “AA” Ni-MH Batteries - 4-Pk
Again I asked about rechargeable batteries on Non-Diving forum once and got some great advice: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...02-nimh-aa-batteries-can-someone-explain.html

The batteries I got at Wal-mart were well rated but not good and I wouldn't go with the Radio Shack batteries either. Many low quality batteries are sold as high mAh. I really suggest Thomas Distributing for batteries and charger.

Or get Platinum batteries.

I am not sure what question about batteries you are reffering to. I did mention in my opening that I have used Duracell and Energizer. They were always fresh when I threw them in the camera. I can get about 40-50 pictures out of them. I am typically using the flash and do take some video also.
Duracell and Energizer are brands with different models. Durcell makes a big deal about their copper top trademark, but their batteries range from 1500-2400 mAh. Duracell 50 pics out of a set of batteries is low. These are the ones I carry for backup in case I screw up on recharging: Lithium Batteries - Lithium Battery Sizes AA & AAA. Energizer.com
product-lithium-aa2.jpg
I figured out pretty quick that mAh probably stood for milli-amp hours or something close to it. A google search proved me right. These are not the absolute highest rated batteries you can get obviously but I think they might be worth a try. I would order fromThomas but my problem is I can only get into a pool one more time (tues. 5/27) before I head to Florida next week. I really want to get this resolved. You guys think these would work. I would obviously get the appropriate charger also.
Since you leave soon, I'd go with the lithium batteries I suggested immediately above. If you need more, K-mart on Key Largo should have them and their are several small department stores. Also check TSA's new rules about traveling with lithium batteries. TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices

I did some research and found out that the energizer rechargable batteries had some good ratings, or so it looked anyway. I did buy a set with a recharger from a local store. Cost less than $20.00, so even if they are not good, no big loss. I'm going to give these a try for a while and will report back. I reformatted my card as well. I'm not sure I will be getting in the pool tonight but if I do I'll, let you know how it went. Otherwise, hopefully I'll have some pictures to post upon my return from Key Largo next weekend. Thanks for all you help.

Just a thought or two, may or may not be relevant as I have the DC500, not the Mini...

50 pics on a set of batteries is very low. You should be able to average 100 or there about, even firing the built in flash every time.

Sealife does not recommend a 1 GIG card, and some cameras have compatability issues with larger cards. I use a 1 GIG in my camera with no problems, but yours might be more sensitive?

I would buy a good high quality set of throw-away batteries like the ones Don posted, and try shooting with your 256 card and see if you still have problems.

If they seem to clear then go back to the larger card and see if the trouble comes back.

It could be the card, either too big for the camera or just a bad card. Is this the same one you used with your original camera?

As for your battery life, either something on the camera is eating them up (try to change your settings for low power mode?) or you have crappy batteries. BTW the cheap rechargeable ones you can buy in Walmart and the like are not as good as regular throw away batteries, you need to buy high end and a high end charger to be comparable and keep them that way.

Good luck!

Glad you solved your problem. Good luck on your photot shoots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom