Problems with Rental Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arielle

Reaction score
I am so new to this, that I haven't even gotten wet yet!

Looking through the posts I have found that there are problems with the comfort level with rentals, but I am worried about big problems. How common is it for something not to work?

Also, we will be in Cancun in early August. I plan on being under the water this time. Are there any Dive Shops we should stay away from? Any other advice?

Thanks!

Things you will run into in rentals.

- Poor fit
- Wet suit smell
- Leaky valves on BC
- Sticky inflators on BC
- Untuned regs (hard to breath/free flow easily)
- Leaky tank valves
- Leaky wetsuit (tears or damaged zipers)
- Poor boyancy/weighting from changing equipment constantly

All of which makes diveing more stressfull, and in some cases may cost significant dive time. Constantly fidgiting underwater trying to adjust the equipment will also detract from your enjoyment and bottom time.

As for common? I have personaly not ONCE had a set of rental equipment that didn't require an o-ring replacement/cleaning/ some sort of adjustment. Typicaly you can count on poor fit, bad boyancy and a god awfull smell every time at a minimum.

JimC has quite eloquently noted the problems. Let it be said that not all shops have the same quality of equipment available for rent. I have seen some that had very nice, relatively new looking stuff that seemed to be decently maintained. I have also seen the other stuff.

The main problem that I see is that each piece of new equipment needs a certain amount of experience before the two of you become friends. If your always diving different equipment, you never really become friends. If your class covers several weeks you will learn to recognize and trust certain pieces of equipment that your LDS offers for rent. You will also learn to stay away from some pieces.

Buying equipment before you learn to dive is almost sure to lead to you picking up some equipment that you just can't become friends with. If asked, there would be agreement on this board that you will want to get a few dives behind you before you spend alot of money on equipment, just to allow you time to find out what you want to buy.

Our original instructor would not LET us buy equipment until we got our OW c-cards (except to wetsuit & the basics) because we did not have a frame of reference on what would work best for us until we knew we had needs that may be solved by, say, a back pad, integrated weights, a high-performance reg, a high-pressure tank, etc. So many newbies go by the advice of a salesman & buy the "top-of-the-line" often complicated non-standard gear that actualy makes diving harder for the beginner.

The best things to keep renting, IMHO, are tank & weight belt because they are heavy to lug, & easy to rent (you can carry your own supply of O-rings; you'll need 'em). If you still have yet to take your class & are planning to dive in August, you may be under the supervision of a DM who can put someof your fears to rest & possibly apply some accountability for rental gear quality.

You may also consider renting gear from your LDS to take on your trip with you. Hopefully, since you have a relationship with them, you will get quality gear you can trust, and not worry about a possibly less reputable "vacation spot" shop.

Good Luck, and Have Fun!

Scuba-sass :)

Maintenance of rental gear varies widely, and some people have no problem abusing rental equipment. Frequently, rental regulators are returned flooded because the dustcap was not secured prior to rinsing. Tanks come back empty, and should be examined to determine if water has entered the cylinder. BCD's are often returned with water in the air bladder, and with valves sticking after being dragged through sand.

Overall, you are better buying your own gear and properly maintaining it.

Out of curiousity, who are you going through for your classes? Is this the first class or the first open water dive?

I agree with the previous reply. When my wife and I went to Coz., we rented her regs here. At least you "know what you're getting". It may cost you a little more and give you more to lug around the airport but what price do you put on your safety and enjoyment?

have fun!

mike

p.s. most people i know who bought all their gear before having a few dies in, wished they hadn't

Back
Top Bottom