Problems with Rental Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Scuba Princess
Out of curiousity, who are you going through for your classes? Is this the first class or the first open water dive?

It's a SSI Course and today is the very first class.

I completed my first pool session yesterday. Yeehah!

And wouldn't you know it ... the inflator on the BC didn't work and the pressure gauge was malfunctioning. I ended up using the assistance's new scuba unit (very nice).

In the class, I seem to be the least trustful of equipment in general ... and as fate would have it, I was the one with all the problems.

Scuba gear is "life support equipment"! When you rent the stuff, check it over very carefully before you leave any shop! Assemble the tank and regs, check both regs, check for leaks, examine the hoses for cracks and flexibility, check the orings, check the purges and the mouth pieces. (Oh and check the air! Is the tank full? Is there a funny smell or taste (metallic or oily or numbing) to the air)

Check the seams and zippers on the wet suit. Check the seams, zipper and velcro on the BC. Inflate the BC fully! - squeeze the bladder to check for leaks. check the release valves and the dump button for stickyness and air tightness. You should be able to do all of the above in 10 min. And is a good predive check even on your own kit when you get it!

Remember, once you take it from the store - it is your problem and your responsibility. And your life as well!

In doing so, you'll also get to know what features you like and dislike in the equipment. I used to log the regs/BCs I rented and what I liked about them (to the point I would specifically ask to use different regs!) It helped when I went to purchase my own reg.

I'd quickly second the point about diving a while before buying big ticket items. You'll make a better choice of what gear to get when you know what kind of diving you want to do!

I just had my first scuba experience on my honeymoon in Cancun during mid-May. My wife and I took a resort course and were given enough info to keep us alive. Then we had some pool time 2.5 hours later we were boarding the dive boat. The largest operation down there is AquaWorld.. http://www.aquaworld.com.mx/ . For the most part, the equipment provided was in very good shape. Everything was in great shape and functioned correctly. I did however have one small problem.

Upon getting to our destination dive over the Manchones Reef, about a mile offshore from Isla Mujeres, after donning all gear and getting into the water, my reg was not responding well to inhalation when I got about 10 ft under the surface. Of course, this being my first dive ever, it was a bit nerve wrecking. However, they do have a first rate selection of DM's that accompany you. Every few feet they make sure you're doing OK. Well when our DM asked me, I signaled that I was having problems with my reg. He immediately tested the backup octo and passed it to me underwater. Once I tried it, everything was great.:bounce: We continued our descent to 40ft and then had about 35 min of bottom time. Everything was fine after the reg incident. I guess something like that could have broken alot of people's spirit to continue the dive, but I was fine.

So, just from my 1st and only experience and having trouble with rental equipment, YES..they do have problems. My advice would be to test the equipment before getting into the water. They cater to so many people I really don't see how they have the time to do daily tunings of equipment. Either way, I'm here to tell about it and am pursuing a LDS to get my OWC. I got bit by the Scuba bug really hard. :jester:

Another LDS down there you might want to check into is the Cancun Dive Club. It's on the north end of the island right across the street from the MONSTROUS Mexican flag flying high over the city. You can't miss it. We have friends that used them and had nothing but raves from the quality of the uquipment to the professionalism and friendliness of the DMs.

Most of all.. Enjoy yourself.

Chris

Hehe.. No.. UmmGumma is just the name I've always used.. It has alot to do with a particular Pink Floyd album.. I'm sort of a Floyd nut. =-)

Chris

I second the idea of taking the time to check the equipment before you leave the dive shop.
Most dive shops should be easy enough to build a repore with.
Remember it is just that, Rental gear.:eek:ut:

I totally agree. Building rapport with a dive shop is always a smart thing to do to be beneficial to both parties. But in Cancun, they herd people thru all day every day. The area bases their entire existence solely on tourism. I think it would be hard to build any kind of lasting relationship with a particular organization down there without taking a 2-3 week trip.

The Wheels on the bus go round and round...

Chris

Well, people rent all the time ... I guess it should be OK. I WILL check everything before I leave the shop and just trust my instincts.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom