Professional Diver insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impilcature

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Disclaimer: I searched... and since I am in a Divemaster class but not yet a Divemaster I can't get in to the Divemaster or any other PRO area.

I see the PADI insurance case pending litigation so I started researching dive insurance. In my scenario the following apply:

1. Military member - I was advised that since I am active duty there is really no reason to get "diving" insurance because all my medical bills are paid NQA. This does not mean I don't think I need professional insurance. I realize that PADI requires this. However I just completed all my book work for Divemaster and NOT ONCE does it mention my insurance options before I get the cert. It tells me that it is required but makes no mention of the specifics or an option to look them up. Do they spring them on me after I get my card "oh bye the way you owe us XXX dollars for insurance now that you are officially a pro"? because if that is the way this relationship will work I don't know if I want to be a part of it.

2. I move every three years. Once I become a professional in need of insurance do I have to go with "PADI" or equivalent? What if "PADI" insurance doesn't cover my area? I haven't worked out the details with my bank that offers small business insurance (USAA) but I would much rather use them because I have ALL my other financial plans through them.

3. Why are the different dive training "schools" requiring certain company's brand of insurance over another? I have lived LITERALLY in 3 different countries in the last 6 years. What kind of plan will allow me to be protected no matter where I live in the world?

4. What if I don't stay with PADI? What are the options later on when I am an instructor or higher? Would it be better to jump ship now if I am thinking of NAUI? (which I am hearing senior instructors talking of doing the same)I know this is kind of early to ask in a professional dive career (if you can call it a career and since I am not a pro -YET-).

Thank you all for your input. I apologize for the overload. I have been researching this for a few days now and wanted to be in the know before I ask my Mentor/instructor.

This forum has a wealth of knowledge. If I stay long enough I would like to be an archiver that finds old posts with great advice to sticky as guides and readme's.

Hi there,

In Canada PADI members are required to carry professional liability insurance in order to work as DMs or Instructors. The agency through which that insurance is offered is HUB Barton. Here's the link to their site, which provides pricing information.

https://www.barton.ca/group/padi_app_2010.htm

I don't know the name of the agency in the USA. Valencia Buckley maybe? In any event, you should look at professional liability insurance specific to diving; other insurance is not likely to cover you for these activities at a reasonable price - at least in the checking that I've done. That is, your OTHER business insurance will be more reasonably priced if all your scuba related insurance is totally separate.

I hope that is helpful to get you started.

kari

I had PADI's Asia Pacific insurance for 2 years. Then I switched to DAN insurance; which was a lot cheaper yet more comprehensive e.g it covered equipment loss in the case of an accident.
Also DAN is accepted in pretty much every country on the planet.

First congrats on working through your Divemaster program. The Pro Forums are an "opt" in selection in the UserCP under Group Memberships. Select the group and complete the requested info.

There is more than one company that provides Professional Liability for Dive Pros. Depending on which agency you represent, those agencies have their top-of-their list recommendations, but technically can not require that you purchase from a specific carrier. Especially since many dive instructors teach for several agencies but only need one insurance policy. For coverage in the US, compare Witherspoon, Willis, and V&B. I'm sure there are others. Check with the Agency's Regional HQs for the insurance requirements and providers for those areas/countries. An example is that DAN Europe offers professional liability insurance where DAN USA does not.

Which ever agency HQ you will be providing services through & your annual renewals, is the agency whose requirements you have to meet. You only need to transfer your territory if you are out of your "home" region more than 6 months.
Example: I lived and worked in the Republic of Panama and processed through PADI Americas and thereby my US insurance covered me. This coverage was 3x more expensive than another girl from the UK whose liability insurance was through DAN Europe. All of her renewals went through PADI Europe.

Although liability insurance isn't required when working in many other countries, if your clientele is primarily American and you are an American citizen, they still recommend being covered (and some carriers have reduced rates for that type of international coverage).

Please be aware the small business insurance such as what you mentioned above will probably not cover you for high risk sports such as diving and may not be accepted by your Agency(s). And if those agencies did cover you for diving issues, the cost might be prohibitive. The Dive Liability Insurance carriers usually take care of notifying your Agency(s) of your current status.

Some carriers also allow you to add-on dive accident insurance (such as Dive Assure). Many standard health plans do not cover issues such as evacuations &/or hyperbaric treatments as they consider diving an "extreme sport". Personally, I am a big fan of DAN and as an instructor I can insure my students during their coursework & training at no additional charge.

Just my 2psi. Good luck in your DM program.

There is more than one company that provides Professional Liability for Dive Pros. Depending on which agency you represent, those agencies have their top-of-their list recommendations, but technically can not require that you purchase from a specific carrier. Especially since many dive instructors teach for several agencies but only need one insurance policy. For coverage in the US, compare Witherspoon, Willis, and V&B. I'm sure there are others. Check with the Agency's Regional HQs for the insurance requirements and providers for those areas/countries. An example is that DAN Europe offers professional liability insurance where DAN USA does not.

Not quite accurate.

You can get DAN USA pro membership, but you have to be a DAN instructor as well.

I am a DAN USA ProMember and Instructor.

Quoting from DAN USA:
The benefits of ProMembership
Recognition as a DAN ProMember
Special DAN ProMember card
Long-term Disability Insurance eligibility
ProMember website link to record DAN Points
Eligibility to participate in DAN Rewards Program and earn credit for supporting DAN
Eligibility to become a DAN Instructor or conduct DAN Training programs.
DAN ProMembership in the US does not offer or include liability insurance.

Not quite accurate.

You can get DAN USA pro membership, but you have to be a DAN instructor as well.
Incorrect.

I am a DAN USA ProMember and Instructor.

Quoting from DAN USA:

DAN ProMembership in the US does not offer or include liability insurance.

Thanks for posting. I looked it up again myself.

Again, each country & agency has it's own rules & requirements. Due to the litigious atmosphere in the US, insurers who do provide liability insurance here have to play by a different set of convoluted rules....and that probably in part explains why it is so expensive here in comparison to other regions.

So someone like me that will be all over the world should go with something like DAN that does multiple areas is what it sounds like.

Not necessarily as DAN does NOT cover professional liability in the US. I recommend you follow the requirements of PADI Asia as you are now in Okinawa, assuming that is where you will be for a while after completing your DM training. When you move, contact the regional HQ for that area and make the needed changes each time you move. DAN accident insurance is universal and my personal opinion, don't dive without it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom