Professional Liability Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why this issue is not simple to solve as many have said in this thread. If the the norm in the local region is NOT to have it, then I would avoid it. In the US one cannot even renew his/her instructor ratings without insurance (at least with NAUI). As other have said, call SSI and you will get an answer to what they consider standard in your area and what they recommend.

Last edited:
As other have said, call SSI and you will get an answer to what they consider standard in your area and what they recommend.

The problem with what you suggested is that it makes sense and is logical but, it seems, the OP doesn't want anything to do with logic and with what makes sense. I am very surprised that somebody who claims to be a "certified" instructor doesn't know/want to contact their agency to find out the real scoop on this very serious issue and prefers instead to see unreliable and "un"responsible guidance from anonymous individuals on internet forums.

extract:
SSI General Training Standards - SSI Professional Status

SSI Dive Professionals must fulfill the following prerequisites to maintain active status:
Maintain professional liability insurance (if required legally in the country). The SSI Dive Professional must list SSI as an additional insured in the policy and must provide current proof-of-insurance to the SSI Service Center.

SSI at the moment promotes DiveAssure
I have it with DAN
Yes, but that is for medical things. Not for being sued and going to court.

A liability insurance for medical issues, are you sure?
Why should SSI ask for a medical insurance and name it liability?

My understanding of that rule and of my pro insurance is quite different.

At least in Europe SSI asks for this kind of ‘Professional Liability Insurance’ in addition to a mandatory diving insurance (non professional) which fmpov shall cover medical issues reated to diving.

Last edited:
A liability insurance for medical issues, are you sure?
Why should SSI ask for a medical insurance and name it liability?

My understanding of that rule and of my pro insurance is quite different.

At least in Europe SSI asks for this kind of ‘Professional Liability Insurance’ in addition to a mandatory diving insurance (non professional) which fmpov shall cover medical issues reated to diving.
Coverage and Rates

I don't know why they call it that way. But this is what is covered with DiveAssure. It's just another DAN...

All of the DAN Pro insurance plans include also the following (in Europe):
* Professional liability, including legal defence EUR 4.000.000,00 (meaning up to 4 Million)
* Legal expenses in relation to a diving accident EUR 10.000,00 (up to 10k)

All of the DAN Pro insurance plans include also the following (in Europe):
* Professional liability, including legal defence EUR 4.000.000,00 (meaning up to 4 Million)
* Legal expenses in relation to a diving accident EUR 10.000,00 (up to 10k)
That's when you buy a seperate Liability insurance, no? Not when you just have DAN bronze, silver, gold...

EDIT: ah no. Why did I always read over that? Apparently there is some coverage! Why do they have a seperate liability insurance then that costs 650$???

Last edited:
We are discussing insurance plans for Pros, so I mentioned the DAN Pro plans and they provide a liability insurance WITHIN their plans for Pros: daneurope.org
I have never had a look to the DiveAssure plans, I just mentioned SSI is promoting it.

I have the impression there is a big difference between insurances for US residents and people living and working in Europe.

We are discussing insurance plans for Pros, so I mentioned the DAN Pro plans and they provide a liability insurance WITHIN their plans for Pros: daneurope.org
I have never had a look to the DiveAssure plans, I just mentioned SSI is promoting it.

I have the impression there is a big difference between insurances for US residents and people living and working in Europe.
I remember my bf telling he payed lots less than me but that there was nothing like a pro Gold. That was several years ago though, maybe it's different now. He is not using DAN anymore.

I am not paying $650 for the entire Pro Silver plan, it‘s much less

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom