Project Argonaut, totally new, vintage style DH regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wrote this back in the spring, but I have not had a chance to post it. Since the subject just came up, I decided to post it here.

Hose weights can make a huge difference in comfort level. It is particularly noticeable with mouthpieces that use a replaceable bite (like single hose bite).

After doing 25 consecutive dives in Grand Cayman and a couple of cold water dives up here, I strongly feel that the comfort level of the hose loops I tested are far superior than my traditional curve mouthpiece loop with no hose weights. I used to really like my the curve mouthpiece and standard hose loop, but now it is hard for me to go back.

Items 2 to 5 below are not immediately obvious. It takes a few dives to realize the difference. It is kind of like asking a single hose diver if they mind the bubbles. Many will tell you they don’t even see them… they are used to it and have nothing to compare it to.

Advantages of hose weights:

1. Reduces upward lift on mouthpiece which is particularly bad with a mouthpiece that sticks out a bit (like a Hope Page, a DSV, a modified hour glass type, or similar).
  2. It keeps the hoses down and out of the field of view when looking around.
  3. It keep the hoses from rubbing on my ears (this is a real problem when my ears get sunburn) (See Note below)
  4. Keeps the hoses from slapping on the side of your head when you turn your head quickly. (see Note below)
  5. Keeps the hoses in a natural neutral curve with no pull on the diver.

Note: wearing a hood can mitigate this a bit, but many of us prefer not to have to wear a hood in the Caribbean.

Disadvantage of hose weights:

1. Can’t do the Sea Hunt hose flip to bring the hoses from the back and over your head. The weights can and will hit your head.
  2. Hose weights do add weight to the system. Total weights should be a bit less than a pound.

The hose loop should be kept slightly buoyant (not perfectly neutral) to facilitate hose loop recovery. The diver should know to look up.

With the hose weights, notice the hose loop taken a more horizontal curved configuration. Since this picture was taken, I have added a few more weights to get the loop a bit more neutral.
Notice that the hoses are below my peripheral field of view. With an oval mask the diver may not notice it at much because of the partial tunnel vision, but with that mask my peripheral field of view is not obstructed by the mask skirt. The lens is close enough to my eyes that I have almost the same peripheral field as not wearing a mask.

pictures%202%20_Page_1_zpsknffomr3.jpg

Picture taken by Nemrod

Pages%20from%20pictures%202%20_zpsvkmzayui.jpg

With no hose weights, notice the hoses touching/ rubbing the side of the head, near the ears. When he turn his head, the hoses tend to be in the field of view.

pictures%202%20_Page_3_zpssue1zpaa.jpg

Selfie by Nemrod.

Wearing a hood the diver often doesn’t notice that the hoses are touching the side of the head, but they are touching.

pictures%202%20_Page_4_zpsgotigrvi.jpg

---------- Post added September 19th, 2015 at 11:32 AM ----------

BTW, My intention is for this thread to continue to be about the Argonaut Kraken and closely related subjects. The new, near neutrally buoyant, hose loop under development (including the new DSV mouthpiece, etc.) will be part of the Argonaut Kraken. I planned it to be the most comfortable hose loop ever available. It will be just slightly buoyant so that the diver knows where to look for it if it is not in your mouth.

Notice in two of the pictures in my last post that we were diving two different types of DSV prototypes. I have a design that I am very pleased with, I just need to quit my real job so that I spend more time finishing my hobby. I am just kidding, I like my job, it just takes too much time. :)

Luis,

I had wondered on the origin of the name of your regulator, the Kraken. Then I was reading The National Geographic's book, World Beneath the Sea, and the beginning chapter by James Dugan. Here is what he wrote:
...Imagine, if you can, a beast a mile and a half in circumference and covered with seaweed. The Norwegians believed it existed, and passed down stories about it from one generation to the next. The kraken, as they called this biggest of all creatures, continued to seize and swallow prey until the early 19th century. Not until then did it die in the minds of its believers...
Dugan, James, Robert C. Cowen, Bill Barada, Luis Marden and Richard M. Crum, World Beneath the Sea, National geographic Society, Washington D.C., 1967, page 26.
Your balanced hose/mouthpiece system sounds intriguing, and will be a welcome addition to the double hose diving community. Very early on, we had the metal "Professional Mouthpiece" from LaSpiro that achieved that goal too. I have one that I have dived recently with a very old Broxton DA Aqualung regulator, and it is indeed quite comfortable. What you are doing is regaining that comfort, along with the non-returns that make double hose diving more enjoyable (the Professional Mouthpiece does not have non-return valves).

One additional benefit you haven't mentioned is that the regulator will sound less noisy on the inhalation with the inhalation hose somewhat further away from the ear.

Thanks!

SeaRat

PS, this was the last written work by James Dugan, as he passed away while in the process of writing this book. I would highly recommend it to all vintage and current divers.

Attachments

• Broxton Dive 8-10-2015-2.jpg
    Broxton Dive 8-10-2015-2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
The above reference source played no part in the decision of naming the regulator. I have covered its inspiration and development in detail at VDH though.
I have metal LaSpirotechnique mouthpieces on two regulators and find them to be some of the most uncomfortable I've ever used. The flaw in their design is simple to see.
The new DSV mouthpiece and hose assembly for the Argonaut Kraken will be its polar opposite.

The above reference source played no part in the decision of naming the regulator. I have covered its inspiration and development in detail at VDH though.
I have metal LaSpirotechnique mouthpieces on two regulators and find them to be some of the most uncomfortable I've ever used. The flaw in their design is simple to see.
The new DSV mouthpiece and hose assembly for the Argonaut Kraken will be its polar opposite.
Interesting...then where did the name come from?

The LaSpiro Professional Mouthpiece, in my experience, is comfortable if adjusted correctly on the hoses and equipped with a new single hose regulator silicone mouthpiece. It is a pain to clear because of the no non-return valves, and as such is relegated to the vintage era of double hose diving. If someone does not know how to clear the entire regulator's hose system from a flood, they should not even attempt to use it.

However, the DA Aqualung regulator is just barely survivable in the river, as it is a very hard-breathing regulator on the inhalation side. I dove it just to get a feeling for what the 1950s Cousteau divers, and the early divers using this regulator, went through to dive it.

By the way, I tried to compliment this development of a new hose/mouthpiece system. :wink:

SeaRat

Last edited:
I have covered its inspiration and development in detail at VDH......

Is the Kraken perfect? The answer is no. But not a week goes by when Luis and I dont throw out ideas to each other to improve it..... And usually after that we call Herman...The DSV mouthpiece has taken so long to develop because we want to insure we have avoided every shortcoming found in other designs as possible.
We have been testing ideas with the original style hoses and the end product will work fantastic with them. But recent development opportunities have caused me to take a step back and Ihave decided that an entirely new hose assembly will be offered with the new DSV mouthpiece when it is ready.
Details and updates on this will be in their usual location.

OWIC647,

I see on your VDH website that there is a reference to the sea monster, Kraken. I've looked over on the VDH website, and cannot see where the naming history of the Argonaut Kraken is located. Could you provide us a link?

SeaRat

I should add here that, when the new hose/mouthpiece system comes out, I will want one.

John

Kraken Owners Group (KOG)
Kraken02.jpg
- We had a meeting of the Kraken Owners Group at Fortune Pond last weekend. SeaHunt Jerry dove his Kraken vintage style (without attachments) and wore a color coordinated red BC, red tank, and red trimmed jet fins. SwimJim Bach dove his Kraken technical style with every conceivable attachment screwed into it. And SurfLung Eb dove his Kraken conventional PADI style with OxyCheq BC, auto inflator, safe second single hose regulator, and pressure gauge.
- The Argonaut Kraken is a modern high performance double hose regulator made in the USA.

What's this strange device?
12042790_10153213968863182_4269583542767070189_n.jpg

A group of 1.....

Sunday's "farewell to summer" drift dive of the Niagara River....

VDH plate w/ custom weight integrated slide harness, OxyCheq 30 wing, Kraken w/ HOG Octo & small 2-gauge console (Force Fins too)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom