Pros and cons of various compasses ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I consider myself to a be beginner diver, I find it very useful that experienced divers take the time to point out a few examples of what these circumstances might be.

Dude, did you overlook the second paragraph where I said there are exceptions?

No, I saw that. I just don't think the exceptions are all that limited. The Saint Lawrence has a virtual overhead in some areas, so you really can't (SHOULDN'T) surface directly. In the ocean, you don't have that (normally). But, it is pretty normal (in my limited experience, of course) to be really best off to swim back to the anchor line before ascending.

All I was differing on was how common it might be to need a backup. You made it sound very uncommon. I don't think it's that uncommon at all to NEED a compass. In which case - if you NEED it - you should have a backup. Though that might be your buddy and his/her compass.

You're right--I made it sound too uncommon. I used the St. Lawrence example because the OP is in Montreal. But returning to an anchor line is a more common example. Still, I would recommend weighing all the circumstances before taking a backup compass. In high current, where you could be swept far away from your boat if you don't return to the anchor line, a backup compass might make more sense.

What environmental conditions would require a diver to have a 30 degrees of tilt compass compared to one with 10 degrees of tilt ?

Doesn’t matter which one as long as it’s on a bungee. I wish someone told me to get bungee instead of a strap before I got mine...

Also don’t mount it beside your computer.. see too many divers do this.

What environmental conditions would require a diver to have a 30 degrees of tilt compass compared to one with 10 degrees of tilt ?

It's not an environment thing, really. It's just easier to hold it level "enough" than a compass with less tilt-ability. When swimming with a compass, it can sometimes be challenging to hold it level enough when it's one with less tilt. I definitely would not mind having 30 degree tilt capability. But, I'm not willing to deal with having a compass that tall. And my Perdix and Seabear computers both have electronic compasses with full tilt capability....

It's not an environment thing, really. It's just easier to hold it level "enough" than a compass with less tilt-ability. When swimming with a compass, it can sometimes be challenging to hold it level enough when it's one with less tilt. I definitely would not mind having 30 degree tilt capability. But, I'm not willing to deal with having a compass that tall. And my Perdix and Seabear computers both have electronic compasses with full tilt capability....

OK, clear enough. Thank you.

Most advantageous when using a Console mounted compass.

When using that setup and viewing the compass side window, you can't use it at 0 degree horizontal trim easily without extending your arms way in front and almost above of you. You'd need to go extreme feet down trim. The 30 degree tilt allows you to have the compass tilted more and still function, while allowing the diver to not go extreme feet down trim.

Having an angled 3-console also helps with this: pictured below.

As a wrist mount, it's a feature not really utilized because you can just rotate the wrist mount on your arm to get the compass level with what ever the heck trim you have.
71v74SozH2L._SX425_.jpg

I just bought a retractable one with the super tilt feature, but now I'm rethinking it. That DGX wrist mount is cheaper...after this weekend's diving, I may return the retractable and order that one.

Personally, I prefer lower profile and am willing to compromise a bit on amount of tilt it can allow, so I use the DGX Tech Compass, which is even less expensive at $39. Like the more expensive ones, it also had a side window. But, it is only rated to handle 10 degrees of tilt.

Yep, the DGX Pro is definitely higher. I can see where it would be a bit clunky for someone wearing it continuously to navigate.

Actually that's why I chose it - the high large side window. I don't wear it the whole dive. I have it on a QR clipped to my harness. I take a heading/bearing before splashing and when I want to head back (or take another bearing/heading I unclip it and slip the bungies over my fingers. I have it rigged so I can point my arm straight out or have it close to my face and have a perfect view of the side window.

I'm pretty good about noting a landmark or leaving an exit marker at a specific depth so I usually only use the compass to perfectly hit my entry point for exit. Most dives I just look around, wander and browse. Been that way since I was a kid in the woods and mountains where I lived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom