Proton Octo Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_pirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have at least 3 of the Proton octo regulators and they are great. Easy breathing and well made. I just had a weird experience with my octo. I was practicing pool exercise for OOA with the instructor and gave him my octo. He got a very wet breath and we headed to the surface (unplanned). The octo has been used on 30+ dives this summer and was new in early June. I tested it before doing a giant stride into the pool. I did not test it once I got in the water.

On surfacing I examined it and saw the exhaust valve bent 180 degrees up and toward the center and trapped up on the center plastic ridge in the exhaust port above the valve. Profile looked like a fish hook on its back. I do not use a ball to cover the mouthpiece, just a snorkel keeper to keep it in place.

I was able to smack the opening of the exhaust port on the waters surface to dislodge the valve and it worked fine from then on. It was very clean and not mistreated. I am guessing the giant stride from pools edge may have caused the problem by water rushing in either the exhaust port or the mouth piece during entry. I , being mechanically inclined, thought the plastic ridge above the valve was to close or to far from the exhaust flapper/button or the valve material was to thin and should not have been so flexible as to bend backward. I know a lot of engineering goes into these designs, Has this ever happened before?

I have learned a new check list item after entering the water to check my octo. I could potentially see this could be a terrifing experience if it were an actual OOA situation with un experienced divers.
DP

My wife had a similar experience with her Proton Octo. We were going to practice air shares at the end of our dive in the quarry, but she got cold and decided to just slowly swim up, instead of doing a safety stop. When we got into about 4 feet of water she decided to test her octo and just kneeled down to submerge and when she tried to breathe, got a mouthfull of water. She just stood up and was fine, but it might have been a problem, if I had tried to use it during our planned air share.

In this case there was no giant stride entry, since we just waded into the water. We found the same thing - the outlet valve was bent in half and sticking open. I put it back in place using the end of a plastic spoon and it worked fine.

Since then we have taken a trip and entered the water using giant strides and have had no problems - but our new procedure involves taking a breathe off our octo's prior to submerging. I also have a Proton (Ice) Octo and do the same.

This is the only time this has happened and she has 75 dives on her rig and I have over 100. I just wrote it off as being a fluke.

The is why you do wet test of your regs - all of the them - at the surface BEFORE you start the dive. Most people do not.

Hi all,

Just to note, there are no design flaws in the diaphragm of the proton octo. We've introduced literally thousands and haven't had any complaints. I am sure what you experienced was just one of those fluke deals. Giant stride, water entering at just the right angle, could have been anything. The diaphragms must be flexible in order to not only let air out, but also keep water from getting in. This is what helps make the seal. The folding of the diaphragm could potentially happen with all regs or octos, just nature of the beast. So having said that, I agree with Scared Silly and always suggest taking a breath at the surface on all air support gear pre dive. I think it would be highly unlikely for this phenomena to happen underwater once the dive has begun.

I am pleased to hear you like your octos despite this 1 time incident. Thanks for purchasing Mares equipment!

Dive Safe,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom