PSA: phenylephrine (Sudafed PE) looks to be worthless

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefduffer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Common decongestant may be worthless, study finds | Ars Technica
"... In a new study of more than 500 adult allergy sufferers, researchers found that the common, over-the-counter(OTC) decongestant, phenylephrine, was no better at unclogging noses than placebo—even when given at higher doses than those currently approved. The study’s authors called on the Food and Drug administration to strike phenylephrine from its list of effective nasal decongestants. ..."

I searched the site and didn't see this news. But I did find several disparaging comments about phenylephrine, the most directly prescient of which is this one from Dandy Don in 2012: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/427950-meds-clearing.html#post6423815.
"Sudefed PE is almost a placebo."

Looks like the "almost" is resolved.

I have always considered phenylephrine to be a waste of money, and don't recommend it to any of my patients. I jokingly refer to it as fake Sudefed. Thanks for the study link.

Yep. It's the stuff they want you to buy in place of the stuff that actually works.

I agree then - total garbage. When you go to the pharmacist and ask for "the stuff that people make drugs with" you'll find a wonder drug. After the dirty looks and after you stop feeling high as a kite, of course.

It makes my lungs fill with fluid if I take it for more than about 3 doses.

Common decongestant may be worthless, study finds | Ars Technica
"... In a new study of more than 500 adult allergy sufferers, researchers found that the common, over-the-counter(OTC) decongestant, phenylephrine, was no better at unclogging noses than placebo—even when given at higher doses than those currently approved. The study’s authors called on the Food and Drug administration to strike phenylephrine from its list of effective nasal decongestants. ..."

I searched the site and didn't see this news. But I did find several disparaging comments about phenylephrine, the most directly prescient of which is this one from Dandy Don in 2012: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/427950-meds-clearing.html#post6423815.
"Sudefed PE is almost a placebo."

Looks like the "almost" is resolved.
Well, I am certainly no authority - and I was wrong about the one box limit I mentioned then. I was repeating an opinion I'd read elsewhere but couldn't remember where. I really hate how difficult it is to find real pseudoephedrine, along with how the prices are going up with sales restrictions. (Blows nose, takes a tab.) I keep almost 300 in my personal inventory in case it becomes impossible to find at times.

I agree then - total garbage. When you go to the pharmacist and ask for "the stuff that people make drugs with" you'll find a wonder drug. After the dirty looks and after you stop feeling high as a kite, of course.
Pseudoephedrine affects different folks differently. I take one at bedtime and go to sleep, but it can excite some. It's not for everyone.

It makes my lungs fill with fluid if I take it for more than about 3 doses.
Which? Pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine...??

Phenelephedrine makes my lungs fill up.

Ah ha, I found an old source for this med being fake: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylephrine Yeah, anyone can edit those pages, but they get challenged.
Phenylephrine is a selective α1-adrenergic receptor agonist of the phenethylamine class used primarily as a decongestant, as an agent to dilate the pupil, and to increase blood pressure. Phenylephrine is marketed as an alternative for the decongestant pseudoephedrine, though clinical studies show phenylephrine to be no more effective than placebo.[1][2] Phenylephrine can also cause a decrease in heart rate through reflex bradycardia.

Phenelephedrine makes my lungs fill up.
Increase in blood pressure with decrease in heart rate might be why. Sounds dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom