PST LP80's Fill Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah the great Yoke vs DIN debate. Reality is yoke can handle 3500 psi.

As for LDS around me doing overfills... I know of atleast 1. I was in talking to the guy giving me a Nitrox fill and the subject came up. I asked him if he would and he said yes, but they don't advertise it.

Also I was in Jamaica last November and the shop there was filling theres to 3500PSI. I gave the Divemaster a nod and said "Nice Fill :)" and he said "Ya Mon, No Problem Mon"

It was just me and him on the boat most of the time and we were having a good old time draining them.

chrpai once bubbled...
Ah the great Yoke vs DIN debate. Reality is yoke can handle 3500 psi.

For the sake of completeness, a 300 bar DIN is roughly 4350 psi.

Cornfed

storms once bubbled...
I recently purchased three PST LP 80's from a local LDS. I have a few questions on fill pressure's. I know the suggested psi is 2400 with a 10% overfill of 2640 @ 80 cubic feet of air. I have heard of some people overfill these tanks to well above 3200psi.
First question: What is the ruputure disc on the factory valve rated at? Second question: What pressure is there 100 cubic feet of air in a LP80? If there is already a thread on this discussion just point me in the right direct, a search yielded nothing on the subject.

Why do you want to overfill the tank?

If you wanted more air why didn't you buy a bigger tank?

Cornfed

cornfed once bubbled...

Why do you want to overfill the tank?

I don't recall him saying he wanted to. He just seemed curious to me.

Oh and for the sake of "completeness" 300BAR isn't DIR.

scubasean once bubbled...

Am I missing something? Is my first stage abnormal? Is the 3500 rating due to having a yoke valve?

The idea is to buy a tank that is rated at a lower service pressure and then "jack it up" to the 3000-3500 range. Considering your tank already has a 3500 service rating there isn't anywhere for you to go.

chrpai once bubbled...

I don't recall him saying he wanted to. He just seemed curious to me.

He seemed more then curious to me

Oh and for the sake of "completeness" 300BAR isn't DIR.

Since you know so much about DIR please tell me what is preferred? If not 300 bar maybe 200 bar? What pressure do you normally fill your AL80 to? Have you found the problem yet?

Why do you always bring up DIR?

Cornfed

cornfed

I was inquiring because if I can pump an 80 up to hold more air then why would I spend 200 more per tank for a steel 100.

storms once bubbled...
cornfed

I was inquiring because if I can pump an 80 up to hold more air then why would I spend 200 more per tank for a steel 100.

They were that much more expensive? I've priced LP 95 and 104s and they're around $325, but I've never looked at the LP 80s. Are they really around $125? Just curious. I always assumed the LP 80 would be around $300 as well.

Anyways, they're your tanks. If you want to overpump them, then go for it. But like others have said you might have trouble finding people to do this regularly.

Cornfed

The tanks were 195 and a gift from my wife. I pick my battle's very carefully and so fully intend to love the tanks in front of her.:) I just did not know what kind of hazard was involved in overfilling tanks. I will probably end up just purchasing steel or aluminum 100's or maybe a bit larger steels. The LDS wants 400 for PST new E series 100's a bit much in my opinion. I have seen the destruction of an exploding tank and feel just not worth it. Thanks for everyone's input.

cornfed once bubbled...

He seemed more then curious to me

Since you know so much about DIR please tell me what is preferred? If not 300 bar maybe 200 bar? What pressure do you normally fill your AL80 to? Have you found the problem yet?

Why do you always bring up DIR?

Cornfed

Go figure it out for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom