PST LP80's Fill Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

storms once bubbled...
The tanks were 195 and a gift from my wife. I pick my battle's very carefully and so fully intend to love the tanks in front of her.:)

LOL! I understand. I just got married in April. Everyone likes to tell you about "yes dear" but they never seem to warn you about "honestly... no, I'm not really wild about it"!

Cornfed

cornfed once bubbled...

LOL! I understand. I just got married in April. Everyone likes to tell you about "yes dear" but they never seem to warn you about "honestly... no, I'm not really wild about it"!

Cornfed

Amen

Chris -- You still haven't answered my question. Why do you continually bring up DIR?

storms once bubbled...
The LDS wants 400 for PST new E series 100's a bit much in my opinion.

I agree...My LDS sells an E7-100 for $269 if I recall correctly.

I bought one a few weeks ago and like it so far.

storms once bubbled...
The tanks were 195 and a gift from my wife. I pick my battle's very carefully and so fully intend to love the tanks in front of her.:) I just did not know what kind of hazard was involved in overfilling tanks. I will probably end up just purchasing steel or aluminum 100's or maybe a bit larger steels. The LDS wants 400 for PST new E series 100's a bit much in my opinion. I have seen the destruction of an exploding tank and feel just not worth it. Thanks for everyone's input.

That was awfully nice of her.

I prefer LP steels for many reasons. However, the biggest one is that they are more negatively bouyant than HP steels or aluminum. That means less weight on the belt.

I haven't used LP 80's. However, if what I said above holds true for them, you may find the LP80's to be quite functional and pleasant to dive.

If the tanks hold 80 cu. ft. at 2400 psi, then you'll need to overfill them to 3,000 psi to get 100 cu. ft. If they hold 80 cu. ft. at 2640, then you'll need to jack them up to 3300 to get 100 cu. ft. in the tank.

I'm not advising, advocating or suggesting that you exceed the manufacturer's rated pressure. However, I've been jacking my LP 104's to between 3,000 - 3,300 for some time with no problem.

Regardless, enjoy the tanks. Your wife did a nice thing.

are great, and affordable. I put a pair together for doubles work, and like them. I usually have about 3300 psi when I hit the water.
That's one of the nice things about the steel lp's, at 3300 psi I've got over 200 c.f. of gas available with some fairly small tanks. According to their advertisements, the capacity is 80 C.F. at 2400 psi, not 2640 psi.

I can find sites that say both ways. Some say 2400 is 80cf and 2640 is 88cf and others say 2400 is 73cf and 2640 is 80cf.

I'm not sure which to believe anymore, but if I had to pick I'd say 2640 is 80cf.

I e-mailed PST directly and asked that very same question. The answer from Thomas Ivey was, @ 2640 they hold 80 cubic feet of air. The tanks are rated at 2400 PSI, I can't figure out why PST would even call it 10% overfill at 2640 PSI. Overfill??????? Yeah right. The tanks are great no problem. Not to crazy about the misleading wording. It leads one to believe you would have 10% more air in an LP80 by filling it to 2640 equaling 88 cubic feet. O'well...........what can you do.

And whats best is after 5 years when your Hydro is up, if you can't get them to reissue the + rating you basically have a 72.

But hey, join the crowd. I'm still irriratated that my AL80 only holds 77. One day I'm going to tell an OW student that before the class and see what happens when the instructor hands him an AL80 and proclaims that this has 80cf of gas in it.

truth in advertising! They are misleading with their advertising. If something says LP 80 c.f., 2400 psi; that's what you would expect it to be. At least they responded to your E-mail, I sent an inquiry to them a month ago, with no response. I was told by the guys at 5th D that the tank was 80 c.f. @ 2400psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom