PST or Genesis tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a chance to get a decently good deal on a steel tank. It's up in the air though--PST HP 80 for $100, purchased new in Dec 2003, or a Genesis HP 100 for $150 hydroed sometime around Dec 2003 but not sure when original hydro was. Which should I buy?

For a while the Genesis tanks were made by PST. It should say somewhere on the neck stamping who made it. Personally I like the 100's, but if you're really good on air, or not going too deep, the 80 would be great too.

Buy both!!

1. It's a good deal, right?

2. Is the 20 cubic feet of air worth $50? My concern is, they are both HP tanks, if it's 80 on a good fill,it'll be less on a poor fill, while a 100 would be good even on a poor fill. I'm just wondering if my Christmas bonus should go towards a tank or a car :)

[edit] just was told that the 80 has no valve. So for $50 more I get a bigger tank, with a valve. Both need vip.

Personally I like the 100's. As you said yourself if you can only get 3000 PSI or something like that, you still end up with enough air for a good dive. Plus the extra weight of the 100's is nice, I would expect you can knock a few pounds off the belt compared to the HP 80.

The older genesis with have a 7/8" Din valve on it with a funny angled opening.

The newer PST will have a 3/4" (now standard) valve which is probably convertible to a yoke if needed.

If you can't afford to upgrade to a din reg, go for the 80. If you have a din reg already or can afford to upgrade, get the 100 (assuming you don't mind the funky angle to the outlet).

I'd say go for the HP100 tank myself. The weight difference in the water is a wash, if you assume both are PSI tanks and it's possible, although Genesis did have other manufacturers as well, then the HP100 could be as light as -1 lbs and the HP 80 -2.5 lbs. That means the HP80 would let you drop 1.5 more lbs lead compared to the HP100, but you probably couldn't notice that.

I've also seen some of the older HP100's listed as -5 lbs, depending on brand. The DOT number would tell who made it for Genesis. On an older one it's possible it's a PST made tank.

I'm looking for another old PST made tank for Sherwood or Genesis to match the one I have now. I paid $75 for my HP100 with valve, but I had to hydro and vis it which cost another $33. I'm not willing to spend more than $120 to $130 myself for an old tank, but I would spend more on a newer one.

No matter what, get it vis'd before you buy if you can. Din tanks are easy to find rust in them because it seems the threads can hold water after a dive and if you don't blast it out or let it dry and the dive shop neglects to do it, you may find water getting in the tank during a fill and you could have rust in it. Especially the angled DIN valves you find on Genesis and Sherwood tanks.

quote=cummings66]I'd say go for the HP100 tank myself. The weight difference in the water is a wash,..... [/quote]

Excellent advice.

I'm looking for another old PST made tank for Sherwood or Genesis to match the one I have now. I paid $75 for my HP100 with valve, but I had to hydro and vis it which cost another $33. I'm not willing to spend more than $120 to $130 myself for an old tank, but I would spend more on a newer one.

Yep. I'd agree and say he should go for the HP 100, as long as it's not the Japanese make, which I believe had significant problems, according to my LDS. The Japanese version also had a taller boot and stood taller- not desirable, in my book.

The PST HP 100 is very popular here in New England. HP 80's aren't as popular and are harder to sell around here.

I've bought about 15 or more PST HP tanks in the past 10 years, some to sell, some to keep as a "fleet" of 8 or 10 for camping/diving trips to places where there were no fill stations. I loved the 100's, but have switched to mostly 120's now.

Around here (NH, MA, ME), the going price for a PST HP 100, with most of a hydro left on it, runs between $150 to $200, regardless of age, believe it or not. Current visual wouldn't be expected here. You did very well to have gotten yours for $75 plus a hydro, I think. In 10 years of buying, I only found about 4 around the $100 price. Had to be the first caller on those, for sure!

No matter what, get it vis'd before you buy if you can. Din tanks are easy to find rust in them because it seems the threads can hold water after a dive and if you don't blast it out or let it dry and the dive shop neglects to do it, you may find water getting in the tank during a fill and you could have rust in it. Especially the angled DIN valves you find on Genesis and Sherwood tanks.

I think your word of caution to get a visual is good advice for the OP, and it's quite likely that the tank will have some small amount of rust in it, but that's common and rarely reaches the level of being a problem. Usually doesn't even require a tumble.

My tanks will occasionally get minor rust in them even with my good care to blow out the valve after diving, so I don't know if the angled valve is the issue as much as occasionally damp fills from the dive shop, such as when it's close to filter change time for the shop.

Most of the tanks I bought were 5 to 10 years old when I bought them and I expect them to pass hydro for a few decades more. Most had slight rust inside. None required a tumble to pass inspection, although I made my own tumbler and cleaned them all up.

I'd say the OP should ask a knowledgeable local diver to look it over with him, then probably buy the HP 100 and feel pretty happy about the tank and the price (if it's PST). He should check eBay prices on these tanks, too. They run pretty high, even for older tanks. They're very popular.

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom