Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer your question. Do the carbon fiber tanks which information was provided have DOT stamps? Osha 1910.42 the rest is all your personal position on the matter. I will say it again, this information was released to allow individual to have access to additional facts that were previously discussed on SB and within the dive industry.

I have no "personal position" on the matter. "Illegal" was your word--your conclusion--and it sure sounded to me like you accused someone of breaking a law. That struck me as stepping over the line of just posting information.

That's all I have to say on this. I have no horse in this race.

For the record there are carbon fiber tanks which are CE / UW and US / DOT approved they just cost more. Which could minimize the sellers bottom line.

That is I believe correct. I have two 3ltr X 300bar ones as above.

They are handled with care, cushioned / encased completey in thick neoprene sleeves whilst in use (accross base / bottom of my ccr - and no, they were not used to 'stand' the rb up on as it were) or when stored away, and after diving they were then taken off and the neo and cylnder 'seperated' and thoroughly washed / cleansed. No just throwing these babies in the corner till next dive. Just like a lot of other "exotic products" (and women), you have to treat them properly or the just might up and, well, you know, up and what.

Would I reccomend you the reader (or anyone) rush out and buy them. No not neceassirily. But they 'worked' extremely well for my application and I sure aint selling mine! (Well, just maybe, if the price was right that is. ;-)

Last edited:
Do the carbon fiber tanks which information was provided have DOT stamps? Osha 1910.42 the rest is all your personal position on the matter

Well after a while trying to chase the osha number down, the best I could get was Hand Wash Stations which is a hand washing station to comply with osha 1910.42. If you could post a link to the regulation so I can read it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Bob

Carbon dive sells steel tanks with a carbon fiber wrap. Which they sell to the US only as limited production , which does not comply with DOT standards, carbon dive does not produce or sell Scuba tanks to the US. They use very specific language. Cylinders and valves which come from two different countries (Austria and Italy) and are not assembled. You as a US purchasers of the cylinders must put them together creating and determining the products intended end use.
Sounds like exactly the same sort of thing add helium was up to.

This thread would be more appropriately homed in the pub.

• Part Title: Occupational Safety and Health Standards
• Subpart: T
• Subpart Title: Diving
• Standard Number: 1910.424
• Title: SCUBA diving.
• GPO Source: e-CFR

I read 1910.424. The only part that I could find with regard to tanks was:

(4) A diver-carried reserve breathing gas supply shall be provided for each diver consisting of:
(i) A manual reserve (J valve); or
(ii) An independent reserve cylinder with a separate regulator or connected to the underwater breathing apparatus.

(5) The valve of the reserve breathing gas supply shall be in the closed position prior to the dive.

What exactly was your point with regard to these cylinders being illegal?

Since it wasn't extremely long, I quoted the entire reg. I'm not sure how this applies to the the OP.

SCUBA diving. - 1910.424 | Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Part Number: 1910
• Part Title: Occupational Safety and Health Standards
• Subpart: T
• Subpart Title: Commercial Diving Operations
• Standard Number: 1910.424
• Title: SCUBA diving.
• GPO Source: e-CFR
1910.424(a)

General. Employers engaged in SCUBA diving shall comply with the following requirements, unless otherwise specified.

1910.424(b)

Limits. SCUBA diving shall not be conducted:

1910.424(b)(1)

At depths deeper than 130 fsw;

1910.424(b)(2)

At depths deeper than 100 fsw or outside the no-decompression limits unless a decompression chamber is ready for use;

1910.424(b)(3)

Against currents exceeding one (1) knot unless line-tended; or

1910.424(b)(4)

In enclosed or physically confining spaces unless line-tended.

1910.424(c)

Procedures.

1910.424(c)(1)

A standby diver shall be available while a diver is in the water.

1910.424(c)(2)

A diver shall be line-tended from the surface, or accompanied by another diver in the water in continuous visual contact during the diving operations.

..1910.424(c)(3)

1910.424(c)(3)

A diver shall be stationed at the underwater point of entry when diving is conducted in enclosed or physically confining spaces.

1910.424(c)(4)

A diver-carried reserve breathing gas supply shall be provided for each diver consisting of:

1910.424(c)(4)(i)

A manual reserve (J valve); or

1910.424(c)(4)(ii)

An independent reserve cylinder with a separate regulator or connected to the underwater breathing apparatus.

1910.424(c)(5)

The valve of the reserve breathing gas supply shall be in the closed position prior to the dive.[\QUOTE]

Bob

Sounds like exactly the same sort of thing add helium was up tob

With all due respect, I wonder, did / does AH actually force anyone to buy their cylinders?

Or did they just sell them for what they are and the buyer / user chooses to use them how they will?

Of course, on the other hand, if they completely misrepresented what they were selling then thats a different story.

But I don't think your average 'novice' diver is buying this type of cylinder, so an experienced diver / kind of person buying this type of cylinder surely knows, or should, that in the US of A's case, if not DOT, etc. stamped / approved, just what he / she is getting into.

Last edited:
But I don't think your average 'novice' diver is buying this type of cylinder, so an experienced diver / kind of person buying this type of cylinder surely knows, or should, that in the US of A's case, if not DOT, etc. stamped / approved, just what he / she is getting into.
Not only did they not represent the cylinder as DOT, their customers would call their dive venues and ask if the venue would fill the cylinder. "Hi, it's Joe Diver. I an considering buying hoop wrapped cylinders from Add Helium. Will you fill them?"

I know of at least one liveaboard :) and one certain dive shop in Grand Cayman who was asked this question of multiple divers.

Has anyone but me noticed that Add Helium is just selling a product that the inventor/old owner of rEvo uses and demos at almost every dive show?
Why aren’t you guys M Fing Paul to death like you are Sotis?
IMG_3307.jpg

Back
Top Bottom