Puerto Galera HD video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joebubbles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dove with Sea Rider over New Year's and had a great time. Dives included, Alma Jane, Sabang Wrecks, Hole-in-the-wall, Canyons, and Verde Island. Although we stayed in Sabang, Sea Rider (based in neighboring Little La laguna), was happy to pick us up every morning with their boat. Dive conditions at Canyons and Verde could not be any better--we had great viz and the current was manageable.

I've attached the first video which included Sabang Wrecks and AJ. One particulary special moment was seeing a juvenile Emperor Angelfish around the mouth of an Eel.
YouTube - Diving Puerto Galera, Philippines

As for Canyons and Verde video. I'm still working on it. I learned a hard lesson at Canyons--never turn off your camera during your safety stop. Dario, our DM, pointed at me to turnaround, sure enough a Manta Ray was cruising by. My bad! :(

Kindly rank the dive sites you went to starting with the most impressive.

Kindly rank the dive sites you went to starting with the most impressive.

Coincidentally, each successive dive was more impressive with Verde Island getting top billing. Verde is unquestionably a world class wall dive and not to be missed. Because of the extra distance to Verde, you will be charged a premium to go there. We were charged 2000 pesos extra, but that was split between four divers which was quite reasonable. There is a phenomenal variety and intensity of coral growth which is surrounded by clouds of smaller reef fish making this the quintessential "aquarium dive".
Next in the ranking would be Canyons. The dive is a bit infamous for strong current, but we were lucky and got manageable current, great viz and good fish action. Add interesting topography and impressive corals that include giant table coral and big barrel sponges make this another dive not to be missed. We actually did hole-in-the-wall together with Canyons so I'm including the two together.

Next in the ranking I would include Sabang Wrecks and Alma Jane which are conveniently located in front of Sabang beach. I guess the video is worth a thousand words. These two sites are premier night dives as well.

Next, I would rank a macro muck dive site that I believe is called "The Heel" which has a good variety of nudis to be found.

Finally, I would rank a sharkless Shark Cave last.

I notice your last scene with the starfishes on the flat sand is right below the floating bar. Knowing Mark's crew that would where Manny is docked waiting for you to surface and enjoy the drinks with the scantily clad guest relations officers from Layteh.

Joebubbles,

Your assessment of the dive sites in PG is well appreciated. Anybody else has any opinions as to what sites impressed them the most?
I've been to PG before but that was a very short trip so I'm going back, this time with a list of "must-do" dives.

Nice video!

really enjoyed it and would love to your canyon movie

My first dive is def. hole in the wall--> canyons --> fish bowl
Right below and definitely arguable is Verde

I am not a big fan of alma jane but thats pbb cause I dove there too often. Sabang wrecks is nice cause it's such a easy shore dive; totally relaxed

Manila bay is nice as well; sick corals

What's PG like over New Years. Are there a lot of people there diving at that time?

i'm looking forward to diving with mark as well this march :D i don't have an underwater casing yet for my cam though :(

Back
Top Bottom