Puffer fish etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
wow...did not know this

although I heard that bees sting and then die (so what's the point, Darwin?)

I read recently that the puffer fish is high on the list for new pharmecueticals.

The pharmaceutical angle is a poison gland thing... (see "fugu").
Unfortunately, it also puts the puffer up high on the coveted Asian delicacy list to the tune of 10,000 tons consumed/year...

http://japanesefood.about.com/cs/seafoodfish/a/fugublowfish.htm

I don't think there are 'poison glands' as such. Tetraodontidae tend to have poisonous viscera, most especially their livers. Some species are far more lethal than others, but all members of this family are dangerous. Fugu is derived from an extremely toxic variety, and the effect Fugu chefs aim for is to have the flesh sufficiently poisonous to create some numbness and tingling as it's eaten, but not enough to kill. There is supposed to be an associated euphoria and intoxication. Fugu lovers occasionally die from the experience, as do the specially licensed chefs who prepare the meals.

Thanks for all the answers. It seems that the answer is no. By the by i've eaten fugu, a really expensive way to get your near death experience kicks, for not a lot of flavour.

agilis:
Fugu lovers occasionally die from the experience, as do the specially licensed chefs who prepare the meals.

Uh huh... that's what I've heard... a meal to die for...

I believe the toxin (tetradoxins) come from smaller algae, which is in turn eaten by larger plankton, which is in turn eaten by shell fish, crustaceans and fish. It's persistant in the animal,and compounds in amount up the food chain; the more organisms that contain the toxins that are eaten, the more toxic they themselves become. That's why it's important to know when the plankton containing these toxins are "in" (shore), so shellfish during this period and other things can be avoided. That's a good note, since one sure sign of "poisoning" is numbness or tingling on the mouth and throat, after consuming shellfish - seek medical attention immediately!

-----

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom