Pull Dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EIGHTWGT:
have a Dive Rite plate & Venture wing - How can I replace the pull dump - ?? Just buy a 90 ?

I want to get rid of it after reading this thread.... I never thought about someone pulling on it or it getting caught.......

Thanks

Tom

diveriteexpress.com has the plain elbows for about $10.

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom Winter:
a pulldump is no evil if maintained properly, just like most gear. I have not have one fail on me, and this is the 20th anniversary of me scubadiving. Although I have to say in all fairness that in the first 5 years or so I didn't use a pull dump, as I didn't use a BCD at all. But I guess that's not DIR at all, or maybe super-Hogarthian? :)

To answer the initial question:
It is possible to use a pulldump at the center of the wing.
I have a DSS wing with a (DR?) pulldump, and it works fine.
It is a tight fit though - one has to position the wing accordingly.
And the pulldump will touch the 1st stage slightly, especially when inflated. But I found this to be no problem, it in fact supports the dump when pulled, so less stress is put on the bladder.

The reason I personally like pulldumps is that I almost always carry a camera rig, and regularly totally empty/reinflate the BCD to lay down on the ground. I found it to be much more comfortable to just grab and pull, rather than hold the valve overhead or stick my butt up.
If I did cave or wreck diving I would consider going for an elbow though, as the snag hazard is real

Just my 0.02$$$
d-s-f

I do not offer, as a standard configuration, any wings with cable pull dumps. This can be fitted if desired. The "thru-hull" fitting in the wing bladder will accomodate either an elbow, or pull dump.

I have seen pull dumps cause problems. In one case a user had secured his inflator hose to his shoulder strap too tightly, and the pull dump stayed open, i.e. he pulled it and it stayed "pulled" The wing was dumping gas.

The second concern is the attachment point between the wing and the hose. If you look at many of the wings sold today you will find some form of extra strap, reinforcement, wrap around sleeve, etc. where the inflation hose joins the wing. Why you might ask?

In the not so good old days, when wings were first being offered is was not unheard of for pull dump users to eventually pull the "thru-hull" fitting right thru the outer shell of the wing. It was a case of "I'm still going up, yank, yank , yank, oops."

This lead people to remove the pull dump, and remove the tendancy for yanking the hose off the wing.

Single bladder wings do not have this problem, and a well designed "inner bladder, outer shell" wing will have a welded reinforcement at the penetration in the outer shell.

Regards,

Tobin

ShakaZulu:
How is the pulldump a failure point. I disassemble mine after every dive to clean it, and it look like a pretty fail safe design to me. The pulldumb on my DR wing sucks though, since it lets the air out soooo slowly. On my old Black Diamond, it was great, pull that thing and you sink like a rock.

You don't really need a pull dump, if you''re always diving horizontal trim.........have fun.
You've answered your own question, more or less. Pull dumps are cheaters - a convenience that isn't needed which make them suspect to a minimalist. No matter how solidly they may look, I've repaired enough of them to know that they fail often enough to qualify them as a questionable decision.

Reefdivers love them because they think they make things easier - and they do until something goes wrong. Then they can find themselves involved in a halfway serious imprompty problem resolution session.

Tom Winters:
My Dive Rite Classic wing came with a pulldump - I never even noticed it for a year. All this "failure point" stuff just cracks me up. The gear is pretty bulletproof - the biggest source of "failure points" are divers themselves doing something stupid or being in lousy shape to begin with. I'm always amazed seeing divers with their "bulletproof" DIR rigs and an extra 30 pounds of gut hanging off their bellies.
Probably more dives will be blown by nimrods changing out pulldumps for a 90° elbow and not securing it very well than by any pulldump failures.
If you have a pulldump, it's fine. Just clean it like ShakaZ does to keep any sand or glunk out of it.
well thank goodness someone stated it right, I have been with the DIR class and yes allot of it is right but some things don’t make since like the Pull dump valve thing, yes I don’t use mine often but never but once had failure and wasn’t no big deal you have other valves and if you know what you doing it won't matter.
Use another valve and enjoy your dive. The pull dump valve on mine works fine when I am doing photo work other than that when don't have photo going on use my back valves.

deepseafalcon:
The reason I personally like pulldumps is that I almost always carry a camera rig, and regularly totally empty/reinflate the BCD to lay down on the ground.
I really don't udrestand this. What's the connection between camera rig and laying on the bottom?

reefraff:
You've answered your own question, more or less. Pull dumps are cheaters - a convenience that isn't needed which make them suspect to a minimalist. No matter how solidly they may look, I've repaired enough of them to know that they fail often enough to qualify them as a questionable decision .

I agree. To borrow a line often heard in another forum...there's nothing 'hogarthian' about pull dumps.

I've fixed a bunch of 'em, too. I haven't seen many folks that were in immediate danger from a broken one...but I have seen their diving day threatened...at least until I could either get it fixed or loaned them some of my gear.

Is it a big deal...not at all...for OW use, anyways. If ya like it, then use it...

...but it ain't hog.

Stephen Ash:
I agree. To borrow a line often heard in another forum...there's nothing 'hogarthian' about pull dumps.

I've fixed a bunch of 'em, too. I haven't seen many folks that were in immediate danger from a broken one...but I have seen their diving day threatened...at least until I could either get it fixed or loaned them some of my gear.

Is it a big deal...not at all...for OW use, anyways. If ya like it, then use it...

...but it ain't hog.

Very good point. I was reading this thread,which is in the hogartian forum I might add, wondering why this was even a question. The hog gear config. is a about eliminating all things that are not essential to the dive. Especially failure points. Maybe this question would better be asked in another forum because as stated several times pull dumps are not hogarthian. My 2 cents worth.

It's very likely that the original poster was actually just wanting to know about the "center" location and was using the term "pull dump" loosely to refer to the connection between the corrugated hose and the wing. We just fixated on the pull dump thing.

Stephen Ash:
It's very likely that the original poster was actually just wanting to know about the "center" location and was using the term "pull dump" loosely to refer to the connection between the corrugated hose and the wing. We just fixated on the pull dump thing.

:D :D :D Typical for this board. I even did the worse - I made a comment on camera rig and laying at the bottom. I've just re-read the original question and my conclusion is the same as yours: he was probably refering to central position of elbow (like Halcyon wings).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom