Pull Dump

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nova:
what does buoancy control have to do with anything here. I'm alway shocked that people think that you can't touch anything while diving. as long as it's a sandy bottom, have at it. silty bottoms are a different story
I admit that I did a little hijack of this thread but I have to answer.

If I understand, you say: silty bottoms are problem because silt will restrict visibility, sandy bottom is not because it efects visibility less.

In diving it's not everything about diver and how you feel and what makes you comfortable. It's also about living creatures. If you touch corals, lay on the bottom, etc. you're ruining marine life. My point is that hovering minimizes that influence. I'm in UW photography and I don't lay on the bottom, I don't touch corals, I even don't touch the stones and rocks. I just hover and take pictures. Anybody can learn that.

MonkSeal:
I admit that I did a little hijack of this thread but I have to answer.

If I understand, you say: silty bottoms are problem because silt will restrict visibility, sandy bottom is not because it efects visibility less.

In diving it's not everything about diver and how you feel and what makes you comfortable. It's also about living creatures. If you touch corals, lay on the bottom, etc. you're ruining marine life. My point is that hovering minimizes that influence. I'm in UW photography and I don't lay on the bottom, I don't touch corals, I even don't touch the stones and rocks. I just hover and take pictures. Anybody can learn that.
it is quite possible to gently settle to the bottom and use a big breath to lift off when ready to move to another location. This takes incredible buoancy control because it's done without the use of hands or legs , and raises very little silt if done right. I like taking photos also and find this technique usefull when trying not to scare creatures away in light currents. I don't like people ruining coral or other marine life but if a diver is aware of their enviroment, they can safely and gently touch almost anything without fear of damage. I've often taken underwater trash and built habitats for animals . If I dive the site again I like to check these habitats for creatures. It's always a good feeling to see marine animals living in something I've built underwater.

nova:
it is quite possible to gently settle to the bottom and use a big breath to lift off when ready to move to another location.
It's also possible that something is buried in the sand.

nova:
This takes incredible buoancy control
No, it does not. It's very easy - hovering few inches above bottom is not easy.

nova:
because it's done without the use of hands or legs, and raises very little silt if done right.
Legs (and especialy hands) are not used for bouyancy control in any situation. Legs are used for propulsion and hands are used for handling the equipment.

MonkSeal:
It's also possible that something is buried in the sand.

No, it does not. It's very easy - hovering few inches above bottom is not easy.

Legs (and especialy hands) are not used for bouyancy control in any situation. Legs are used for propulsion and hands are used for handling the equipment.
if you can lift off the bottom with a single breath than your buoancy is on the money. My point is that by hovering in a current you need to move your legs to stay in position. this movement can scare animals away or make them retreat into a hole.Even on a coral head a diver can use a simple(and gentle) toe touch to say in position without damage to the coral

nova:
if you can lift off the bottom with a single breath than your buoancy is on the money.
Any OW diver with 10-20 dives can do that.

nova:
Even on a coral head a diver can use a simple(and gentle) toe touch to say in position without damage to the coral
Toe touch can be replaced with simple(and gentle) kick without touching anything.

However, we can't agree upon this and there's no sense for hijacking this thread any more. Separate thread about bouyancy would be more useful.

Stephen Ash:
It's very likely that the original poster was actually just wanting to know about the "center" location and was using the term "pull dump" loosely to refer to the connection between the corrugated hose and the wing. We just fixated on the pull dump thing.

Thank you, I will watch more closely how I say things next time!

MonkSeal:
However, we can't agree upon this and there's no sense for hijacking this thread any more. Separate thread about bouyancy would be more useful.
You're correct, of course, but nova has managed insinuate himself under my collar and is irritating me like an ingrown hair with yet another display of his willfull ignorance:

nova:
Even on a coral head a diver can use a simple(and gentle) toe touch to say in position without damage to the coral
Nova, you are absurdly wrong. It's very simple: if you touch coral, it dies. It doesn't matter how gently you touch it, it doesn't matter if you're wearing gloves, it doesn't matter why you're touching it. Wishing this wasn't so won't change things, so repeat as needed until you remember: if you touch coral, it dies. Here are two images that illustrate the impact of fingertips on coral two weeks after being touched. The touch, described as "heavy," was between 1 and 4 kilograms per square centimeter - just enough of a push to "avoid contact" with the reef or to push off the bottom.

Porites compressa
November 23rd, 1996: before treatment
touch2.jpg

The same coral after heavy finger-touch treatment (1-4 kg/cm2) on >1cm of coral surface showing circular scarring, December 3rd, 1996.
touch1.jpg

reefraff:
You're correct, of course, but nova has managed insinuate himself under my collar and is irritating me like an ingrown hair with yet another display of his willfull ignorance:

Nova, you are absurdly wrong. It's very simple: if you touch coral, it dies. It doesn't matter how gently you touch it, it doesn't matter if you're wearing gloves, it doesn't matter why you're touching it. Wishing this wasn't so won't change things, so repeat as needed until you remember: if you touch coral, it dies. Here are two images that illustrate the impact of fingertips on coral two weeks after being touched. The touch, described as "heavy," was between 1 and 4 kilograms per square centimeter - just enough of a push to "avoid contact" with the reef or to push off the bottom.

Porites compressa
November 23rd, 1996: before treatment
touch2.jpg

The same coral after heavy finger-touch treatment (1-4 kg/cm2) on >1cm of coral surface showing circular scarring, December 3rd, 1996.
touch1.jpg
what's obsurd to you is not to me. Most coral is dead anyway , it's only the very outer layer that lives. that's right ,coral grows on dead coral, so what's dead to you is just a new coral habitat to me. If you want to see dead coral come on over and look in my den, I have a big old piece complete with little dried up crabs and little shrimp looking things..

and how do you know this dead spot wasn't caused by chemicals on the hands or gloves of the diver. go back and take another picture and see for yourself that the coral has allready repaired any damage by landing more coral spores on the same piece of coral. and just so you are better informed, there are fish that eat coral and excrete sand. That is were most of the sand in the oceans comes from. and coral makes a fine building product in most island nations

so touching a little coral is no big deal, as a matter of fact broken coral gives habitat to other living creatures. and just so your really well informed YOU cause more damage to the ocean ecosystem by using your car on the way to work. it's called air polution and and is washed from the air into the ocean by rain

I hope this helps your understanding of a complex system.

and your comment about "another display of willfull ignorance" offended me , but I'm sure you don't care, just like I don't care about your petty problems.

[HIJACK]

Nova, I see a lot of excuses for what seems to me to be basic bad diving practices.

I stay off the bottom, whether it is sandy, coral, or whatever, so I don't develop bad habits. Every dive is a practice in buoyancy control.

Likewise for touching the reef/fish/whatever.

When I use my camera I understand that adds to the load - but it is NOT an excuse to get sloppy.

I've had buddies after a dive ask me "Did you know your elbow was only about an inch from that reef? Did you know your head came close to that coral when you were looking in the crack in the rock?"

My answer: "Yes, I knew it every time it happened. Did you ever see me touch anything?"

So far the answer is always "No." If that changes, I'll be very dissappointed in myself and have to work on my skills more. It's all about control.

Of course it also depends on the environment. If there is surge going on, I don't get close.

[/HIJACK]

Back to the original topic - I have a center (no pull) inflator connection on my DeepSeaSupply rig and have had no problems with it. I usually inflate from the upper, and dump from the lower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom