Pumpkin Carving Dive at Gilboa Oct 28, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit

Floppy Ear Mod
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I could have sworn I posted this already but I don't see it. A friend and I are running a fun pumpkin carving dive at Gilboa again this year. We'll plan to carve at approx 2pm on Saturday if you want to carve as a group. My buddy and I will both have our white tents set up for those who prefer to prep their pumpkins before diving with them. He thinks people should dive in costumes so if you're game find a way to dress up your scuba gear :D A night dive complete with the jack-o-lanterns illuminated with cyalume sticks will cap off the festivities. Everyone is welcome, this is a great time! We had a really small group last year but we had big fun!
Ber :lilbunny:

I don't have anything planned for that weekend yet, but it is the first weekend I will be in town after 5 straight weekends away, so I am just a maybe on this one at this point.

My dive buddy wants to make this more interesting by introducing the concept of diving in costumes. Doing the carving dive as well as doing the night dive in costume is optional, we're hoping to have enough people participating to give us enough pumpkins to set around the quarry for a halloween costume pumpkin tour.

Start working on your costumes if you want to try something new--remember, you have to be able to safely dive in it :D

My girlfriend should have completed her open water training by Oct 28th. If so we are going to try and be there. We will be carving pumpkins but I am not so sure about costumes. Great idea though!

Lance

Lancelot I hope you and your girlfriend can make it :) You two can dress up as divers :wink:

By the way... I have never carved a pumpkin underwater before. Do we use pumkin carving craft knives?... Can we use templates?... Does it all have to be freehand?... Can the pumpkin be hollowed out before we go under to carve the face?... Are there rules for this kind of adventure?... Am I overthinking this?....

Lance

Lancelot:
By the way... I have never carved a pumpkin underwater before. Do we use pumkin carving craft knives?... Can we use templates?... Does it all have to be freehand?... Can the pumpkin be hollowed out before we go under to carve the face?... Are there rules for this kind of adventure?... Am I overthinking this?....

Lance

We do this for fun so no "carving rules" apply :D

Pumpkin carving craft knives work but some need to be modified for use with thick gloves. The kids stencil kits with the larger handled knives work best for me.

Stencils are great and I always hollow out my pumpkin before diving. Pumpkins are very buoyant and you'll need a few pounds of lead to sink it, they are easier to sink when you can put the lead IN the pumpkin :D
**Tip: smaller pumpkins are easier to deal with**

The fish love the pumpkin guts and Mike encourages underwater pumpkin gutting to feed them if you want to wrestle a whole pumpkin underwater.

Bring along your dive lights as well as a glow stick to put in your pumpkin for the night dive. Don't worry if you've never been on a night dive, new-to-night-diving divers will get a detailed briefing and dive under instructor supervision.

My dive buddy is going to bring hot dogs for all so everyone else can bring a dish to pass.

Hope this helps! BTW, we'll have heated tents available to take the chill off of wetsuit divers.

DARNIT! I'm too far away! That weekend will be my "anniversery" of really getting into diving. I'm sorry I can't be there. :(

Since I had to bail at the last minute for the M&G, I will do my best to make it for this weekend. Another camping weekend I hope?

sounds like great fun--I'm checking the family schedule to see if I can make it.

:D

Back
Top Bottom