Pumpkin Carving Dive at Gilboa Oct 28, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
You need to stop over and carve a pumpkin :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ok, so REALLY, how cold will the water be in late October @ Gilboa. Yes, while dry suit certified, I go wetsuit because of the $$$ in my wallet....

That answer will be one of the big deciding factors for me!!:14:

Typically that time of year at Golboa I wear a crotchless 3mm shorty. The water is nice and toasty. If you are looking for a cold feeling then you will have to wait until after the Wolverines take the Chestnuts apart at the end of the college football season. :eyebrow:

Lance

k4man:
Ok, so REALLY, how cold will the water be in late October @ Gilboa. Yes, while dry suit certified, I go wetsuit because of the $$$ in my wallet....

Lancelot:
Typically that time of year at Golboa I wear a crotchless 3mm shorty. The water is nice and toasty. If you are looking for a cold feeling then you will have to wait until after the Wolverines take the Chestnuts apart at the end of the college football season. :eyebrow:

Lance

Oh, wait, Lancelot, don't you mean when the badgers, or skunks, or whatever that ugly animal is...LOSE to the #1 BUCKEYES??????

But really, a 3mm? come on. It was in the low 40's at the tubes (60 ft.) a month ago!!!

hehehe... football.

Like Ber said, it's the surface interval that'll get you. I wear a 7 mm and although I'm a freeze baby, I manage.

OK... Really... You will need a 7mm wetsuit, thick booties, hood, and gloves. I have dove to 85 feet at Gilboa (over the wall... yeah... I know... Mike would kick my butt if he caught me) when the temp was 42 degrees F at max depth. It was quite cold but bearible for me. I do have a very high tolerance for cold though. (much more than most people) As for football... I hope the Chestnuts win every game right up until their last of the year so that the Wolverines can take them apart... and go on to the national championship game. Up until that last game I am rooting for your guys. Don't have them let me down buddy. :D

Lance

k4man:
Oh, wait, Lancelot, don't you mean when the badgers, or skunks, or whatever that ugly animal is...LOSE to the #1 BUCKEYES??????

But really, a 3mm? come on. It was in the low 40's at the tubes (60 ft.) a month ago!!!

Lancelot:
OK... Really... You will need a 7mm wetsuit, thick booties, hood, and gloves. I have dove to 85 feet at Gilboa (over the wall... yeah... I know... Mike would kick my butt if he caught me) ...

Lance

Oopps. The quarry police are on their way, I'm sure:no

I know... What can I say?... I am a fourth generation Wolverine. I'm not afraid of anything. :D

Lance

k4man:
Oopps. The quarry police are on there way, I'm sure:no

Lancelot:
I know... What can I say?... I am a fourth generation Wolverine. I'm not afraid of anything. :D

Lance

ignorance is bliss??? Not about the diving:D , of course about not knowing what team to cheer for!:wink:

k4man:

Worst case scenario should be high 50's, it's usually still in the 60's. The surface interval will can get cold but my buddy and I both have 10'x10' EZ-Up tents (he has at least 2) and he's got one heck of a salamander heater to make the surface intervals comfy. I'll also bring along my little ProCat heaters, they don't produce as much heat as the salamander (that thing will run you out of the tent) but they do take the chill off of the air in the tent. I think Notsoken is bringing his kerosene heater and tent as well. We work hard to make the weekend a pleasant experience.

It's always cold at the tubes no matter what time of year you go. We'll be carving on the large platform so you'll be in the warmer water :wink: I take students to Gilboa at the end of November for check-outs and they can't believe how nice the water is then.
Ber :lilbunny:

Water temp isn't bad in the fall. 7mm, hood and gloves should be warm enough. But I can't stress enough the importance of having a good hat for your SI. I prefer the polarflece tobogins since they dry quickly, and a pair of gloves.

Back
Top Bottom