Pumpking Carving Contest (Pumpkin)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One problem with taking pictures of the pumpkins (we did this too) is that the flash drowns out the cyalume light. You end up with a picture of a pumpkin lit by the flash and surrounded by darkness. Don't know enough about underwater cameras to get photos of the red glow. I know with a land camera you have to turn off the flash and hold the camera VERY still (tripod is best) to get the photo to come out. Don't know if this is possible underwater though. If you want to have your picture taken with your pumpkin underwater (using the flash) it's best to hold the pumpkin beside your head. Otherwise the photographer may cut off all or part of your head because all they see coming toward them is a red glowing pumpkin, you don't show up well in the view finder. That advice comes from our experience doing a pumpkin dive.

Wonder what video would look like? Anyone have a video camera and the ability to make stills from video?
Ber :bunny:

Chad -

When I dove with Jim in April, at blue springs, he claimed he was looking for a replacement for his too thin wetsuit! Incidentally I have a camera, nothing fancy but I'll bring it along.

Scott

finally got on the boards. The Pumpkin Carving dive will be Saturday October 26th at 1:00 p.m.

Still trying to come up with some other Halloween themed ideas for diving that weekend.

I still have my "thin" wetsuit however I do have a heavy neoprene dry suit now. As soon as I learn to use it I'll be ready for Blue Springs.

The lake we saw the tiny jellyfish in was Mineral Wells or Mineral Springs in Ohio. Cerulean Springs is close to Hopkinsvile Ky. Nice warm water and air fills on site.

Are your other diving faimly members interested in UW pumpkin carving?

I think it will just be Dawn and I. Jamie has decided that she is going to be a warm water diver (preferably salt with good vis) and Zach is involved with his fraternity in his junior year at EKU which is WAY more fun then diving with old folks in a cold muddy quarry!

I would love to get a dry suit - but Dawn would want one to which doubles the cost, have to save our pennies but taking dive trips to warm clear water seems to be winning on the list of priorities. Yours will be great for diving the great lakes next year. What brand is it?

I see Cerulean Springs is about 215 miles from Lexington and Gilboa is 240. Has everyone been to Gilboa? If not I would suggest it as a trip sometime next summer. There web site is - www.divegilboa.com

:bounce: This sounds way too cool (literally!) but so much fun! You all don't even know how dangerous I am with a knife! :lol:

Well when you get there I guess we will find out.

Chad :D

I would think someone with your occupation would be good with hand held tools:wink:

Maybe you can do some really fancy carving with your skills:)

Hope you can join us that weekend and get some of your diving buddies to come along!!

jbd once bubbled...
I would think someone with your occupation would be good with hand held tools:wink:

Maybe you can do some really fancy carving with your skills:)

Hope you can join us that weekend and get some of your diving buddies to come along!!

Guess I'll just have to bring my dental instruments to carve with instead of a knife!

On another post (accidental by WaterNymph), they posted:For

"the Treasure Hunt you and your buddy will have to find numbered plastic pumpkins and match the prize with the numbered pumpkin. The Number of Prizes will be determined by the number of entrants."

That is a good idea! (second to the Excalibur idea by KYmermaiddivr). But what prizes coud we have? Everyone participating could throw in maybe $5 and whoever finds the matching number wins the pot? Consolodation prizes for the other numbers could be....:boozer: beer!

fins,

You have a good idea but, we put out the information already and don't mention entrance fees so we can't go back right now and do that.

Maybe next year.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom