Putting a date on a vintage SPG/depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
In a recent lot of vintage equipment that I purchased, one of the more interesting finds was a Sportsways combination capillary depth gauge and SPG marked in both PSI and kg/cm.

IMG_9107.jpg

Now, the lot came with a 1977 (?) Sportsways Waterlung W-600 Hydronaut (see other thread) as well as a vintage 1968 (?) USD Calypso J regulator.

Is it safe to assume that this SPG is from the 1977 sportsways reg, or is it possible much older?

HI. "skin diving" mag has the gauge in ad dated Jan and May 1969 also states patent pending will try to load ads regards bj.

Attachments

• img973.jpg
    img973.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 163
  • img974.jpg
    img974.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 180
You are finding some nice stuff Doc. I have restored several of the Sea Vue versions of that gauge. The cap tube is easy to replace.

@ BJ: Thanks for those print ads :D I hadn't considered these as seavue gauges. I heard about them, but it didn't cross my mind that this was probably one of them. Is it possible that this is a later model, as the SPG portion contains metric readings as well?

@ Herman: I placed this in my pressure pot and I noted a rise in a yellow indicator, though it wasn't so clear since my pot is small, so I'm not too sure if it was reading properly. How do you replace the tube to get this functioning?

I wonder what my buddies would think if they saw this clipped of on my left hip D-ring :D

Doc, that tube is nothing but a clear plastic tube that is blocked at one end and open at the other. Unless it is clogged up, there is nothing not to work. If you look closely at the small black plastic piece it plugs the tube on the "deep" side and has slots cut in it on the "shallow" side. The small black square at the bottom of the gauge just under the "feet" is the calibration point. You will notice the plug is directly below that mark. To calibrate it, you remove the tube and shift it to one side or the other until the reading are correct. As water pressure increases, water enters the open side of the tube compressing the air inside. As it does, the water flow into the tube and highlights the yellow (or some other bright color) so you can see the water better. As the pressure decreases, the air pressure in the tube pushes the water back out. These gauges are very accurate in shallow water once calibrated and since they have no moving parts are very reliable. To replace the tube you gently pry the tube from the ring, pretty much the same way you remove an oring. I use an Oring pick. So far I have had no luck removing the black plug in at least a dozen of them (the split side will come out but the solid side has been stuck solid. I don't even try now, I just plug the end of a piece of new tubing with Aquaseal and reinsert it with the 2 ends touching each other, you do not want much space because it will allow air bubbles to form there which will be moved up the tube. The bubble does not hurt anything but makes it a little more difficult to read. Most of them are pretty bad discolored so replacing the tubing makes them a lot easier to read. You can try cleaning the tube before replacing it. Just remove it, pull it loose from the black plastic plug on the split side and run a wire up in it to clean it.
Normally I would offer to send you a piece but I have about sent out all I had....and I started with 25 ft of it -minimum order.. Next time I have a McMaster order I will get some more and keep you in mind.

As for a DH, if you intend to restore and dive it, get either a US Divers or a Voit. All the parts you need to restore them are easily available. The others like Dacor and Healthways are difficult to find parts for at this time. That may change but for now UDS or Voit are the ones to restore.

Thanks herman!

The black plug came out nicely :D Looks like it'll just need a cleaning.

Hahaha! Vintage brass and glass.

Both sides?? If so you are lucky, I have yet to get the solid side out of one. However, if it's that loose air might be able to pass by in which case the gauge will not work. Water will go in and force the air out the plugged side or it will not show the correct depth because air is leaking past the seal.

While on the subject, if you run across an old USD gauge of similar design that has a frosted over face, I can tell you how to restore them as well.....come to think of it, I have one that needs restoring now....project for the day. :)

Herman,

What size tubing did you order from McMaster Carr for these capillary depth gauges? I've got a couple that I may replace some day....

I have a couple of frosted over USD SPGs that had a band to unscrew and get to the inner side of the glass (plastic). I thought they might have leaked, but after the third one, I figured it was something to do with the choice of materials. I just opened them up and used some headlight restorer from the auto parts store to take off the haze. A new o-ring and viola! Of course, now with my luck, they'll leak for real.

I have to go back and check my records Jacked. They had a couple of types of the correct size with different ....grades of "clear" for lack of better terms. I choose the "most clear" type. It was a little more expensive as I recall but not much. I will check when I get home tonight.
Same here, a little polishing and they come out nice. I use 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper - wet- to get the lense hazy all over and remove the.....what ever it is... then buffing compound and buffer pad on a dremel tool to polish out the plastic. No real big deal if they leak, just open them up, flush it out with fresh water and dry. Not much hurts brass if you take care of it.
Looks like one of us need to do a group order.... it's hard to use 25 ft of it 6 inches at a time. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom