50 Years of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob DBF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just finished two tanks at the lake to celebrate my birthday and 50 years of diving.

One summer my dad decides to learn SCUBA. Buys some gear and books and starts diving. I was interested, read the books, and started "why can't I dive too". After the DAD school of SCUBA, academic and practice in the surrounding ponds. He came out as an observer, in the water and from the beach. The only dives that we were both on SCUBA in the water, at the same time, was to practice buddy breathing. After a number of observed skill and practice dives, I was a diver. As for the old man being a qualified instructor, when I finally certified OW 17 years later there was little he had not covered, most of it concerned equipment not available at the time.

All the original gear consisted of a Voit? J valve 72, Healthways capillary depth gauge, Nemrod Double Hose regulator, Nemrod horse collar surface floatation, and a Voit pressure test gauge (use on surface only, no SPG's yet). Since there was only one set I was solo until I finally ran into another diver. I was 16 and back then divers were already strong swimmers and freedivers trying to get a bit more time underwater.

All the gear, except the tank, are found in my pic gallery among other vintage gear I've picked up over the years, I should put the book, “The New Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving”, in as well.

I can tell the times have changed when I remember back to when I was 16 and loaded the gear in the car to go fill the tank at the local industrial gas company and then do a solo dive in Long Pond. The Old Man yells at me as I'm leaving, "don’t wreck the F'n car".

This summer is the 50th anniversary of my first dive. Thanks Dad.

I’ve done a lot of diving since, but that summer is when this kid knew he was going to dive forever, so far I have

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

Congratulations! :clapping:

Wow. 50 years of diving. Thats epic and congratulations! Voit made tanks, I actually have a voit 72 with a j valve and it still has the rod with it.

Happy B-day & Good on you!

I remember that 1000 page text book, “The New Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving”. I believe it only had a couple of illustrations and loads of info. ( I just hit the my 40th year; Power to you! )

This year is both Vail Ski Mountain & Scubapro's 50th as well.

Keep on Diving!

Last edited:
Congrats on 50 years in the sport. There are very few divers these days that have been aroung diving for that amount of time. I just hit my 25 year mark this year, so I'm halfway there!

Happy Anniversary! This year is 40 for me. I hope to still be diving in another 10 years too.

Congrats!!!!! I'm at 7 years and don't see and end yet.

Congrts Bob! I'm right behind you 43 years this year.

Getting my sons cert next weekend. I hope they feel the same way. I hope to be diving with them until they put me in the "old folks" home cause I cant dive anymore...nevermind about wiping my own butt, I'll let the water take care of that...lol

Awesome! And Happy Birthday!

I had my 30th anniversary of diving this year and hope I will be still diving in 20 years!

Back
Top Bottom