50 Years of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats Bob! I'm right behind you! Forty eight years! Started at an old sand quarry in NJ called Virginia Lake. I was a Jr Lifeguard and the head life guard had a scuba unit I drooled over. Healthways double hose, a real tank and a Dacor D-Pack. I somehow acquired a really good depth gauge that the head guard really liked. Told me that he would give me dive lessons as a swap for that gauge....Done deal, so here I am nearly 50 years later!

Congratulations and happy birthday, that is awesome!

In my wildest dreams I hope to be in the game for 1/2 that time.

Pete

Congratulations Bob and Happy Birthday :cheers:

Congrats, Bob. Reading that brought a tear to my sentimental eyes. I only got certified in 2008, but always wanted to be a scuba diver. I love this activity more than any other! Thanks for blazing the trail.

Thanks to all for the congratulations, just getting old is not as easy as one might think.

In science fiction you can fly to another world and in fantasy you can walk thru a mirror to get there, diving has been the one activity that has made some of these worlds available to me. I've been diving year after year because I can just buy another new adventure by the air fill.

A few years back, when boat diving the Channel Islands with my daughter, I ran into a diver with a BP/W solo diving at 80 something years old. So, knock on wood, I'm planning to be that guy.

Bob
---------------------------------------
Even a blind pig gets an acorn once in a while.

Congratulations, Bob. Wonderful that your Dad taught you and shared his passion with you. I hit 50 years of diving last year... never thought that would happen when I took my first breath from a SCUBA tank.

Congratulations, Bob. Wonderful that your Dad taught you and shared his passion with you. I hit 50 years of diving last year... never thought that would happen when I took my first breath from a SCUBA tank.

Yeah, I noticed that. I've been looking forward to this summer ever since you wrote that last year. Now on to 60 years of diving, you will beat me there but I'll be following.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I just ran across your post

A huge congratulations is in order!

1963 seems like a long time ago and it was! Your career spans the actual genesis of recreational diving...LA Co UW Instruction program was about 8 years old, NAUI about a little over 2 years old and over six years before PADI was hatched.

Lets hope you have 50 more exciting years..

SDM

PS..there is a post by "couv" about my diving career in the Socal section

---------- Post added July 27th, 2013 at 06:06 AM ----------

Happy B-day & Good on you!

I remember that 1000 page text book, “The New Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving”. I believe it only had a couple of illustrations and loads of info. ( I just hit the my 40th year; Power to you! )

This year is both Vail Ski Mountain & Scubapro's 50th as well.

Keep on Diving!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree that Bob has hit a milestone and a huge congratulations are in order.

As I re read his congratulatory post yours caught my eye..

A 1000 Page book called "The New Science of Skin and SCUBA diving." I and I some how suspect many are not familiar with a 1000 page diving manual. Can you provide additional information as when this 1000 page book was printed?

Perhaps a LCCC or ISBN numbers?

Eagerly await your response
SDM

Last edited:
As I re read his congratulatory post yours caught my eye..

A 1000 Page book called "The New Science of Skin and SCUBA diving." I and I some how suspect many are not familiar with a 1000 page diving manual. Can you provide additional information as when this 1000 page book was printed?

Perhaps a LCCC or ISBN numbers?

Eagerly await your response
SDM

Thanks Sam.

I think Beaverdivers got carried away, and although it may have seemed that long to a kid who just wanted to hit the water with SCUBA, it is only 207. "The New Science of Skin and SCUBA Diving" was originally printed in 1957 by the Conference for National Co-operation in Aquatics, my copy is the revised edition 1962, LCCC 62-9376. All the techniques for lost reg, doff and don, buddy breathing, including illustrations were for Double Hose regs and old school quick release buckles.

Bob
--------------------------------------
The most important thing to plan when solo diving is to make sure that you are not diving with an idiot. Dsix36

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom