Putting a loop at the end of a reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a second hand Manta reel.

If you want to make a loop at the end of the reel, so you can quickly tie off around an object, how do you set it up so it does not dangle when not using the reel?

If I make a knot it will get in the way and I cannot wind the loop through the opening at the top of the reel.

CC854DE2-137E-450F-904C-E1A721E88EF7.jpeg

Unspool some line and cut it off so there is room for the knot to pass through.

I have plastic bead threaded on the line and captured within the loop so the end of the loop does not pull through completely and gives me something to grab with gloves on, similar to this:

1644276844510.png

-Z

My knot sort of "pops" through the slot. Since it is only on initial/end of use it is not a big deal. (ETA: This is on a Manta reel.)

I have various line stops on my reels to keep the end from coming through. Either a plastic bead/ball or:

linestop__00343.1367859010.500.750.jpg

This is handy for passing the end through things since it has a little mass and also handy if you use a snap to secure the end.

My knot sort of "pops" through the slot. Since it is only on initial/end of use it is not a big deal. (ETA: This is on a Manta reel.)

I have various line stops on my reels to keep the end from coming through. Either a plastic bead/ball or:

linestop__00343.1367859010.500.750.jpg

This is handy for passing the end through things since it has a little mass and also handy if you use a snap to secure the end.
Out of curiosity what knot did you use to tie the loop?

I’ll probably put a bolt snap at the end as a stopper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom