PV-GS400 Enclosures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meekal,

ISn't that the same thing as sending it through multiple codecs that shasta_man suggested as not a good thing? you compress it with the mpeg encoder on the first run, then run the file through the media encoder for a second round.

As a side, I installed the 5.x version of divx and tried your steps shasta, but I still don't see the divx/mpeg4 option(see my message above for more info). Just to be clear, I'm using premiere 6.5. I do have the option to use divx through the export to movie and saving as an avi. The quality doesn't seem to be much better than my first file and the file size is actually larger....I'll experiment with this more to see if I can figure stuff out.

I'll try that MS media exporter as well...see if that is any more useful

-Mark

shadowr69:
Meekal,

ISn't that the same thing as sending it through multiple codecs that shasta_man suggested as not a good thing? you compress it with the mpeg encoder on the first run, then run the file through the media encoder for a second round.

I'll try that MS media exporter as well...see if that is any more useful

-Mark

Yeah, in theory you don't want to compress multiple times.

For a high resolution DVD, I encode once.

To compress the file down for easy internet downloading, you are talking major file size compression.

The microsoft media encoder is very versatile for compressing for internet use. You have many options of video and audio compression to find your "compromise" of acceptable file size and acceptable resolution.

8 minutes of video compressed down to 20mb with decent resolution. I can't argue with success.

thanks for jumping in RONROSA - you're 100% on the money.... and as you said "for easy Internet downloading, you are talking major compression" so i'm figuring the 2nd generation "source" is good enough

Heya runrosa,

Out of curiosity what was the size of the original file, the compression(compressors too!) that you used, resolution that you went with and the frame rate?
I've been trying different compressors and settings, but using 360*240 at 15fps @50% compression, the best(and I'm refering to my acceptability standards) I'd come up with was a 180mb file dropped down to 7.8mb which I didn't think was too bad, but in comparrison, it was I believe about a minute of footage as opposed to your 8 mins mins being dropped down to 20mb. I'm still 3+ times the size...
anyway, thanks for the help and sorry for hijacking this original post...

-Mark

shadowr69:
Heya runrosa,

Out of curiosity what was the size of the original file, the compression(compressors too!) that you used, resolution that you went with and the frame rate?
I've been trying different compressors and settings, but using 360*240 at 15fps @50% compression, the best(and I'm refering to my acceptability standards) I'd come up with was a 180mb file dropped down to 7.8mb which I didn't think was too bad, but in comparrison, it was I believe about a minute of footage as opposed to your 8 mins mins being dropped down to 20mb. I'm still 3+ times the size...

-Mark

I don't remember if I compressed my avi file or the mpeg4 file.

To tell you the truth, there are so many different options in Media Encoder, I don't remember the exact settings. I think I played around a little until I was happy with the file size and resolution.

Speaking of resolution, everyone has their own opinion of what is acceptable and decent. What I call decent may look like crap to you, which may help explain my smaller file size. The 8 minute video compressed to 20 mb I am speaking about is the video I posted in the "show me your best video" thread.

shadowr69:
Heya runrosa,

-Mark

OK, I just compressed a short 2 minute video and wrote down my settings.

Original file size: 523 mb
Bit Rate: 364
Frame Rate: 29
Picture Size: 320x240
Final file size: 6mb

Right click and "save target as" to download
test video at 364 bit rate

Sorry to throw out suggestions and then run, I've not had time to get back to this.

I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5, which recollection says added the Adobe Media Encoder as a separate area compared to Premiere 6.5. I should have included the version with my original comments.

First thing to mention is that the Adobe website has some excellent "primers" on DV compression, DVD production, audio production, HD video production, Encore, etc.

You can search the Adobe site for "Adobe primers" or use the link:

http://www.adobe.com/motion/primers.html

These are excellent, relatively in depth discussions of the technologies. This will explain why some of the things we see are happening or not happening. Check the DV_Compression_Primer first. They even discuss different connectors and their pros and cons.

One thing I would point out is:

meekal: you don't want to go to an MPEG and then compress that in Windows Media Encoder. For an MPEG, a lot of compression happens where color and motion information is removed and interframe compression happens (only records changes between frames and keeps a reference frame: this is why it can be difficult to edit MPEG2 because the keyframe is not being caught or displays when you don't want it to). You really want to go straight from your AVI into MS Media Encoder. For example, I saw that the AVI I had on computer looked a bit more colorful than the MPEG2 DVD I made, due to the compression to MPEG2. Then you can start making adjustments based on your knowledge of how the technology affects it.

Additionally, in Premiere Pro, my recollection is that the Adobe media Encoder area I mentioned gives access to MS Media Encoder codecs directly. So you could go straight from your edited timeline out to the web size file.

Next thing is that, there are a lot of ways to get to the same place. MPEG2, DivX, MS Media Encoder. I'll come back with more discussion but note that there are a lot of settings in these file compression programs which can greatly affect encoding time, quality and size. You can get much better quality at a small file size, but it costs you processing time.

Lastly, my comments don't bother to take into account: money. You have to work with the tools you can afford. However, those primers will teach a lot about how things work.

Shasta_man:
.......Lastly, my comments don't bother to take into account: money. You have to work with the tools you can afford.........

LOL. :D

If it's free, it's for me.

Which is why I like to use windows media encoder. Cheers. :cheers:

HI,

I uses the housing for MX500 Panasonic the earlier model of GS400.

USed 10 Bar housing and the manufacturer is from HongKong. Had the housing for more than 2 years and their service is great.

It has full mechancial function and there are accessories to play with; a versatile setup I would say.

Some dives only with the red filter or using the manual white balance will do all the trick without the need for lighting at all.

Hope this helps...

If you are in Hong Kong, go to them to enquire as you may get a better rate than to ship things across.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom