Qiandao Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does anyone know any dive shops that operate trips to Qiandao Lake (aka The Lost City or The Lion City) in late May? I am going to China for a school trip, and was hoping to dive that lake either May 19-22 or June 1- 4.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Hey there, Big Blue dive shop out of Shanghai runs that trip. I am looking into doing it in early May so I've been in contact with them for info.

China - Explore the Underwater Ancient City, Qiandao Lake - Dive Trips - Big Blue SCUBA Diving Shanghai of China

Does anyone know any dive shops that operate trips to Qiandao Lake (aka The Lost City or The Lion City) in late May? I am going to China for a school trip, and was hoping to dive that lake either May 19-22 or June 1- 4.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Hiya!

Just checking to see if you did a dive at Qiandao - I'm heading to S.E. Asia next year and would like to know if it's worth the effort to stop in Shanghai. It sure sounds great but I've been seeing reviews griping about poor viz.

Cheers

This is China, you better double, no, triple check your info.
For what I know it is closed to the public bcs of major looting .........

the government has closed the site to divers.
the most recent scuba shop taking divers out was Big Blue and they
say their permit is no longer valid -
they have been trying to sort this out -not always an easy task in China.

Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed response, I somehow missed the notifications on the comments since my last post a few months back until this last one.

I did dive Lion City in May with Big Blue Diving, and it was quite an adventurous trip.

@marcbeaudry, how did you find out the site was closed?

Hey everyone, sorry for the delayed response, I somehow missed the notifications on the comments since my last post a few months back until this last one.

I did dive Lion City in May with Big Blue Diving, and it was quite an adventurous trip.

@marcbeaudry, how did you find out the site was closed?

I talked to Big Blue who said that the site was closed since their last trip in May and they were not able to take
divers there anymore.
how was the dive in May ? I have an acquaintance that dove it last in 2002 and said viz on her third trip to the site
was quite bad.

marc

I talked to Big Blue who said that the site was closed since their last trip in May and they were not able to take
divers there anymore.
how was the dive in May ? I have an acquaintance that dove it last in 2002 and said viz on her third trip to the site
was quite bad.

marc

Marc, I would agree with your friend...the viz there was very challenging for diving and in particular photography/video. The required checkout dive in the shallow lagoon had really horrible viz (less than 1-2 feet at the bottom), which definitely worried me for the ruins. However, at the actual ruins, viz was around 20ft (as long as no one in your group made the mistake of touching the bottom). It was very dark down there...virtually a night dive. If you want to check out some photos, here's an article I wrote about the dives for the Underwater Photography Guide:

Dive the Ancient Ruins of Lion City in Qiandao Lake|Underwater Photography Guide

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom