Quarry dives...do you log them as "official dives"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sure do ... every dive to me counts :) - unless i'm diving off the deep end!

-----

Mike.

Log 'em baby, log 'em.

No, nothing can go wrong in a quarry. Diving a quarry isn't a big deal at all. I think they're going to start handing out equipment to non-certified divers just to see what they can do, and anyways if they do get hurt say DCS I bet we wouldn't have to log it as an official chamber ride either, I mean chambers in Ohio are pointless right?

Sorry I usually avoid post that I'm afraid will harrass people and I hope the OP doesn't take offense to my answer I say it with a very light heart (I'm one who constantly makes sarcastic responses), but I have 60 logged quarry dives some with vis of less than 5 feet and some in water temps in the mid to high 40's and as deep as 74' so they can be moderatly demanding dives especially for recreational divers

I took my significant buddy's sister on a quarry dive excursion to get her some experience in less-than-ideal conditions. She'd done springs and the Gulf, and she went with her family to Cozumel, but all of those dives were good-to-superb visibility, with generally warm (to balmy) temperatures, and no more than 90 feet or so of depth (and that was just once, in Coz).

At the quarry, I brought her down just shy of 110 feet, where it was dim and quite cold. Next, we went to a section with a siltwater layer with less than 1 foot vis (around 85 feet down). After that, it was back to moderately decent viz for a compass course between "wrecks", with much of it done with very little to reference. From there, a semi-free ascent (including stops) along a line (but no touching) took us back to about 30', at which level we continued the dive as a bottomless wall dive (maintaining constant depth). Finally, we crossed the quarry at safety stop depth (with no visual references available), navigating by compass. (I was following behind and towing a float as a depth reference as she experienced the awesome power of task loading -- holding safety stop depth while swimming with no visual reference and simultaneously following a compass bearing is hardly easy.) Naturally, she had great difficulty maintaining constant depth, and by the time we surfaced, we were so far off course, we had *quite* the surface swim to get back to the dock (the dock is on a concave part of the somewhat bean-shaped quarry, so missing it by a little put us midway through the other lobe).

Obviously, I'd consider that an official dive, considering I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a "harder" dive otherwhere. About the only thing that it didn't have was a strong current, but I guess that'll be a good reason to log non-quarry dives, too.
s.gif

I believe any dive over 15' or for 20 min counts as an official dive.

Our instructor told us 15 feet for 15 minutes counted and we should log everything.

reefugee:
Just out of curiousity - when you dive quarries, what is there to see down there? Do they have any fish? Any wrecks?

I am fortunate that I live relative close to Monterey and am able to do some great dives out there.

Thought you might find this interesting:
A number of unwanted items from the Space Center have begun life anew as underwater features for divers at the aquatic park. These include sections of an original NASA space station prototype, one a Z-shaped tube large enough to swim through. Another is a vertical cylinder almost 20 feet (6 m) in diameter and 30 feet (9 m) long that reaches to within 15 feet (5 m) of the surface. A portion of a gutted Titan missile waits for divers, as well as a domed observatory and several smaller items.
The signature feature of the quarry is an entire Minuteman missile standing upright in the center of the lake. Once on display at the Space Center, the base of the missile had already been filled with concrete for ballast. At a height of 53 feet (16 m) the upper section of the missile protrudes above the surface, creating the impression it is ready to blast off from a subsurface pad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom