Quarry dives...do you log them as "official dives"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba:
P.S. I love the midwest. I love Ohio Football and the buckeyes. I love the people. I love the seasons. I love the lake up north, and the hills in the southeast, I love columbus cleveland and cincy,

We love you, too.

Signed,
The people of Versailles, Ohio...

BSea:
My rule is if it's deeper than the LDS pool (14 ft), then I log it. But that's my rule. It's your log book. If you want to log even a pool dive, then go ahead. I don't see any reason not to log quarry dives. In fact they can be a challenge because of the water temp, and depth.

I helped out with a Discover Scuba at the local pool and "logged" it- meaning I wrote it up in my log book- but I didn't count it into my # of dives or my bottom time to date. I just wrote up temperatures, what gear I wore etc. It was fun- and a nice, little refresher after a winter out of water.

I've always loged all pressure exposures, but then I've usually had an employer I was responsible to for doing so.

BKP:
Storm, one of the quarries near us runs about 150ft, however, the first thermo is at about 35 ft (and it was about 88 farenheit yesterday, above the 1st thermocline) and drops to low 50's on the bottom.

We were playing around a school bus yesterday which lies at 70 feet, and getting pretty cold (in a 3mm Henderson gold core fullsuit, no hood, no nuttin'...). Computer said 69 degrees, I think it was a tad cooler...

Question is... at what temp do you start feeling the Bare 5/4 is no longer up to the job (I just ordered a Progressive Stretch 5/4 from Bare... so I'm very curious).

We Dive from 45 - 58 or so we ue our 7mm with the hooded vests. From 58 to about 65 we drop the hooded vest and wear just the full 7mm suit,. Anything above 65 degrees, we use our 4/5. We actually bought the 5/4 suits for a planned trip to CUba this December, and while the water is warm enough in the St. Lawrence we thought we'd get them broken in.

The suit type to wear, will depend on your personal comfort in colder water. For example, once we drop the hooded vest, we use 3mm beanies, and always use 3 mm reef gloves verses the heavier gloves. We also rarely dive in that 40 degee water, so as long as we are in our confor zone, we can use the lighter gloves and beanies. So far, I havent hít water so cold that I have to use the heavier gloves. Also we are diving straight air in AL80s and so far our bottom time hasn;t been that long that a little cold feeling is a major nproblem.

If you're diving really cold water, or have extended bottom times, then perhaps you'll need the heavier gloves, hoos, and suits.

trucker girl:
Boy did I get the shaft! My husband doesn't dive and he doesn't come to the dive site. I have to lug all that gear by myself... hey- will YOU be my buddy (insert fluttering eyelashes here) pretty please? It sounds like your wife has you well trained!

Both my wife and I dive, but she lugs her won ger. It's our rule one. If you can't carry your own gear its time to reconsider diving....LOL (actually I do help her if she asks..whcih she seldom does.)

pir8:
Quarries should be logged. They are great for training. Yes they are not the ocean, but the conditions can be chalengeing. I use Dutch Springs and it is full of fish and plenty of different types of wrecks, most were intentionally sunk but they are there. It is a lake as much as any other natural lake.

You bet !
I've had quite challenging dives at Dutch ... definitely logged mine

Tanker

RJP:
A quarry dive is a dive. Do it. Log it. Count it.

But remember...

The first time you're on a crowded 6-pack, fifteen miles from land, and you've been hurling breakfast and then dry heaving the whole hour trip out, and they just spent another half hour setting the hook while you were struggling to get your dry suit on in 4-6 seas, overheating while the cold spray is stinging your face, and there's a ripping current with 5-foot viz, and you're slinging a bail-out bottle for the first time, with more weight than you're used to, and you're about to do your first "Jersey Roll" over the side into choppy 45deg water, when you notice that you're "buddy" who hit the water just a second ago is long gone, and you're praying that the 50' boat doesn't slam down on you after you hit the water, and you're hoping that if you don't get to the downline to the Carolina rig quick enough that you can at least grab the trail line before the current takes you past the ball, and you're trying to remember which compass heading to follow because the wreck was wire dragged and depth-charged sixty years ago so it's nothing more than scattered hull plates, and then once you get down to 90' it's not only snotty viz but "night-dive" dark, and you're all alone, hoping you can find your way back to the anchor at the end of the dive without getting tangled in your wreck reel, so you can do your ascent on the line, otherwise you'll need to shoot a bag in the middle of the ocean and hope that the boat sees you, and that you don't drift even further away while you're doing your safety stop, puking through your regulator, and when you finally do get back to the boat you need to perfectly time your exit with the boat hopping +/- eight feet so you don't have the ladder crack your skull, and you're struggling to get your fins on and up every step, so you don't fall off, potentially getting swept past the ball again, so you can get to the top without pinching a finger off as the metal ladder repeatedly crashed into the boat, and climb over the transom with 100lbs of gear on, shuffle back across the crowded deck back to your 18" of space on the bench, with what little gear you could bring aboard stuffed into a milk crate under your seat, so you can get out of your rig, while not slipping on the deck or tripping on scattered gear as the boat is still tossing, in order to get your BC off your first tank and onto your second, changing your regs over, with both tanks bungied to the rail so that they don't fall and break someone's foot, while you try to make sure your mask doesn't go overboard, because you just remembered that your backup is in your trunk which is not across the parking lot but back at the dock, and you're starving but forgot to bring anything to eat and there's no snack bar on a boat, and the captain is now trying to get everyone back in the water for the second dive because he wants you back on board by 11am so he can slam you around for an hour while you're breaking down and stowing your gear at 20kts to get back to the dock in time for you to get all your crap off the boat in about 30 seconds without forgetting anything, and wondering how much to tip the crew...

dorothy-toto.jpg

"I don't think we're in a quarry anymore..."

All the time spent in the quarry has prepared you for this dive to some extent, but know that - like any new environment - this is your first dive like this!

Don't ya just love jersey divin

I log all quarry diving---GEE...

Thalassamania:
I've always loged all pressure exposures, but then I've usually had an employer I was responsible to for doing so.

So you log pool dives?

Yes, just like I log saturation dives.

Back
Top Bottom