Query on diving gear online shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lifelyjump

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As a novice managed to complete advanced Padi badgets, I want to do my diving gear purchase online and I came across 2 sites that offer good values (well, at least to me). But then as this would be my first time purchase in these sites, therefore I want to know if any of you had any experiences with purchase on these sites and are happy to share your experience

First one
Online dive shop, buy online diving, snorkeling & swimming equipment

Second one
www.leisurepro.com/

If you have some purchase sites you have used and happy to recommend it, please do. Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi, @Lifelyjump. I love buying things online but I think dive gear, particularly that of masks, BCs and wetsuits, should be tried on in person. It can make or break your experience if it isn't properly fitted and definitely a hassle to have to send back and forth. I know a lot of dive gear is much more attractively and competitively priced online; however, you may find that your good and local dive shops may be willing to match the prices or create a custom package based on what you want to purchase that fits you rather than a pre-determined package which is sometimes the case.

I have purchased from LeisurePro before but accessories only. I have had good experiences. I don't know if the same is true anymore but they used to have some grey market products that would end up on their website and some manufacturers will not stand behind any warranties if the product is not purchased from an authorized dealer. If you are looking at Scubapro, I know they are now an authorized dealer for that particular brand.

Congratulations on your certifications! If you have any questions on gear, everyone here is very helpful. Please feel free to ask. :)

I agree with above that some stuff I feel more comfortable trying on first so I buy from LDS but Dive gear express ( Dive Gear Express® | Official Site ) has great prices usually and fast shipping. Another I've ordered from is scuba toys (Deals on name brand scuba gear - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices) but they are also a LDS so prices are good and sometimes normal. I'm lucky cause I live near scuba toys shop (warehouse) so it is one of my LDS.

I prefer LeisurePro. THey have a perfect fit guarantee. If what you ordered doesn't fit, send it back (their dime) and they will send you another size - repeat till you get a perfect fit. I've never had a problem with them.

I prefer LeisurePro. THey have a perfect fit guarantee. If what you ordered doesn't fit, send it back (their dime) and they will send you another size - repeat till you get a perfect fit. I've never had a problem with them.

I took advantage of this when I bought my semi-dry suit. They were really helpful and had no problem sending me labels and suits until I had the right fit. Luckily it only took trying on 2 sizes.

I have used several of the on-line vendors listed: LeisurePro, DGX (Dive Gear Express), DRIS (Dive Right In Scuba), and ScubaToys. All have been good experiences. I use brick and mortar as well - one particular store is a 90 mile drive for me but they are a great operation (Louisville Dive Center) and I drive past other stores to get to them.

The only gear Leisurepro is NOT an authorized dealer for now is Aqualung - which explains the better prices on any AL gear on their site than you find elsewhere. Aqualung actually singles them out as non-authorized on aqualung.com.

Leisurepro offers their equivalent warranty on AL products but you have to send it back to them.

In the past years they've become a licensed dealer for just about every other brand they list - at least ones I'm aware of/have checked on the mfr's dealer locators on their websites.

You can also sort of tell if the prices you're seeing online are the same on 3-4 websites - they're all listing MSRP or MAP pricing. Sometimes you get can get a better deal if you call/contact them directly - sometimes they have to show MAP but can discount from it.

I buy from Scubatoys.com pretty regularly also - they won't oversell you and ship fast. It's a big store/warehouse in Dallas and I think they have a lot more than what the website shows - or can get it quickly.

The only bad experience I've ever had with online shopping is at scuba.com - it took them almost 3 mos. to never deliver a pair of boots I ordered for a trip - I could've bought them locally for $20 more and saved the hassle. They were reliable about sending a monthly "still on backorder" notice till I cancelled though.

Check nearby shops also - we have one here that will match any online price if they have the same item in stock - plus the local tax.

Since you asked about a site in Spain and another in NYC - I'm guessing you're not in the States so there might be inbound customs duties to factor in any price for gear shipped from "overseas'. Plus Int'l shipping costs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom