question about 1st and 2nd stage maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I'm curious how often you change your high and low pressure hoses, if ever.

If the hoses are in good working order (not leaking, no cracks, etc.) would you change them?

Is there a time limit (after X years) that you'd change them just for jollies?

I was quoted $100 for first and second stage annual, and $70 for hoses (30 for HP, 2X 20/ea for low pressure).

But, we are now talking enough to get a new reg at some point.

Advice?

Thanks in advance....

Sean

I inspect all my hoses fairly frequently. If there are no signs of wear, I don't bother to change them. If they are really old, (over 10 years or so...less with frequent use) I would probably just replace them for piece of mind.

You will find that the first hose to go bad is almost always the HP hose. The extra pressure takes a toll on the material. I've only had one hose go bad, and it was a HP hose. Thankfully it blew on the surface.

I'm guessing the $100.00 is for parts and labor...sounds high.

The prices of the hoses you quoted seem reasonable.

Maintenance of SCUBA gear is just something you do. Hoses seem to last a while for the most part so, you don't have to replace them too often.

Thanks for the response...

Yes, the $100 was for parts and labor to replace the O-rings, etc. in both the first and second stages.

I agree that you'd want to replace the hoses after some period of time just for grins...Never hurts to be safe.

The year you replace the hoses, it almost pays just to replace the entire assembly, since you are at $170 just for repair that year, and a new one might only cost twice that (or less, online, depending on which unit you want to replace it with.)

Dive happy and safe,

Sean

$100 for a single reg??? That seems REALLY high priced! I had
2 done this year for $115. Might be time to check out a diff LDS

As others have said, I merely inspect mine often.
I do put Armor All on them occasionally.
I think sharp kinks and u/v light are hardest on them.
I have a reg over 20 years old with the original hoses on it.
(I have also had BRAND NEW HP hoses to blow on their first dive)

Yes, it is very high price.
Some online stores service dive gears for prices nobody can beat. If you want, send me a private message and I would give the names.

Back
Top Bottom