question about a second mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LioKai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
A question for the DIR crowd. Do you carry a second mask when you dive?

If so, where do you keep it? (pouch, pocket, arm, leg, etc.)

If not, why not?

Matthew J D'Avella

LioKai:
A question for the DIR crowd. Do you carry a second mask when you dive?

If so, where do you keep it? (pouch, pocket, arm, leg, etc.)

If not, why not?

Matthew J D'Avella
Hi Matthew,
Yes. Carried in the left hip pocket.

brandon

BCS:
Hi Matthew,
Yes. Carried in the left hip pocket.

brandon
Why on the left and not the right?

DS1,
Not having advanced to your level I'm still very ignorant of so much of the DIR philosophy and rigging.
What, for my own edification, do you refer to as "primary stuff"?

Primary stuff is stuff you're gonna need: wetnotes, spool and SMB (assuming OW here)
Secondary stuff are your backups: spare mask, second cutting device, extra bolt snap, extra spool.

WJL:
Why on the left and not the right?

Hey Bill,

Keeping within the ethos of standardization amongst team members, the easy way to remember things about DIR is that everything primary is on the right and everything backup is on the left. This way if we're in a silt out, or what have you, I know where your stuff is because it's in the same place as mine..

Hope that helps..

Regards,

Michael Kane

I've noticed so many different opinions on the board regarding the DIR philosophy.

I've even noticed, what seem to be, relatively intelligent people start acting like children when DIR subject was brought up.

I've been diving for a while and just now being exposed to the DIR school of thought.

I suppose I've been negligent in my on-going diving education.

I do believe, however, that I'm going to look into pursuing the DIR philosophy.

The reason for this is that I'm alive today because of the training in received in the military. That training focused on a given set of responses to given situation. The training also focused on uniformity of equipment. This not to say that one could not deviate from proceedures if necessary, but that, based on historical scenarios, certain actions proved the most effective for the immediate resolution of the problem.

You guys are starting to make a lot of sense.

MHK:
Hey Bill,

Keeping within the ethos of standardization amongst team members, the easy way to remember things about DIR is that everything primary is on the right and everything backup is on the left. This way if we're in a silt out, or what have you, I know where your stuff is because it's in the same place as mine..

Hope that helps..

Regards,

Michael Kane
So if I understand you, standardization of equipment configuration among team members is not simply an arbitrary rule, but is done to increase safety.

WJL:
So if I understand you, standardization of equipment configuration among team members is not simply an arbitrary rule, but is done to increase safety.

Absolutely. As I understand it, everything about DIR is to increase safety. Everything is put together in such a way as to minimize issues leading to emergencies and minimize the amount of thought and effort needed to deal with an emergency. Having standardized gear and standardized procedures means all the "figuring out" work is done before you hit the water, and by the time you're trying to deal with a real emergency, you don't have to waste precious seconds figuring out where anything is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom