Question about boat charters on Lake Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teknadv3x

Contributor
Reaction score
Do any of the shops in the Austin area run trips to Starnes Island, Tom hughes park? I remember seeing a Dive Barge at one of the marinas a few years back and it was told to me that they used it for dive charters on the Lake Travis .

Thanks in advance
Dave

I went on one of those back in '99. The group we went with chartered one of those double-decker boats. What a sweet trip that was!

As I remember, it was the dive club which rented out the barge, not a scuba shop. Of course, there's no reason why a shop couldn't rent out a boat. The trick would be getting enough people to sign up and fork over the cash.

Just For Fun has double-deck boats for rent. The price includes the driver, so they can take the group where ever you want. Here is the link: http://www.jff.net/austin/p_boats.htm

A few years back one of the Austin shops owned their own pontoon designed for diving,,,they would go out 3 times a week in warmer season...I just don't remember the shops name..???

I belive it is deep blue scuba and they still run the trips.

I think Deep Blue Scuba located in Austin does boat dives on Lake travis. You might want to check with them.

I went with Tom's Dive and Swin on a rented pontoon boat to Starns a few years back.

Any group of divers or dive club could do the same thing, go rent a pontoon boat from Just for Fun and spend half a day at Starns. That's all that Tom's did.

I got a dive buddy with a boat. That's how I do it.

deepwaterferret:
I went with Tom's Dive and Swin on a rented pontoon boat to Starns a few years back.

Any group of divers or dive club could do the same thing, go rent a pontoon boat from Just for Fun and spend half a day at Starns. That's all that Tom's did.

I got a dive buddy with a boat. That's how I do it.

Dive buddies with boats are the best kind :D

I store one of my buddies boats at my house, he lives a couple blocks away, but his lot has deed restrictions against keeping boats or trailers at house unless in garage. So I let him store it here, makes it easy to get out to lake. He comes by, we load it up, take it back to his house and prep it in his driveway. Then load up his wife and or kids if they're coming and are in water 10-30 mins later, depending on where we decide to put boat in. Although before recent rains, the options on where to put in were getting limited.

I like to dive stearns or further upstream when diving on weekend, and dive WP, Mansfield, and other spots on main basin usually on weekday when there is a little less traffic, or maybe early sunday. Of course living 10 minutes from Travis for most of past 30 years, I can afford to be a little picky about when and where I dive.

Back
Top Bottom