Question about catching lobster...by hand.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Protist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I am interested in hunting spiny lobster( South Florida). But I dont want to catch them with the conventional noose, or tickle stick and net. I would like to use the tickle stick to draw them out, then catch them with my hand.

My question is how would I go about doing this? Would I need special gloves, or will my reef gloves work just fine? Any particular precautions I need to note?

Thank-you
:coffee:

It's been more than 30 years since I caught lobster, but then all I had was my hands. New England lobster, not the spiny guys, but you did have to trick them into turning, so you could get behind them and grab them with your other hand, w/o facing those claws. Dam things HURT!

Ok...I ask about the gloves is because I HEARD from someone on a dive boat that spiny lobsters could seriously injure your hand with their tail. I would have no idea if that is true and trial and error doesn't work for me in this situation.

Why are you making it difficult. It's not like fly fishing where minimalism and technique is a virtue. Snag, net and bag the little suckers.

They're called spiny lobster for a reason, just about any glove will do. I used to use those cotton gloves with dots and they worked fine.

Get yourself a decent pair of gloves, they make warm water gloves with dynahide or something similar - mine are made by O'Neill. Kevlar will also work.

You want to grab them on the top of the carapace, or get a good hold at the base of their antennae. Taking bugs by hand can be a bit of a lesson in patience, because they know you're there, they just don't know what your intentions are yet. Don't shine a light directly in their face, don't flail around a lot (they'll feel the current) and remember that they crawl forward, but swim backward...so backing them against a rock and then grabbing makes it easy.

Each segment of their tail on has a hook on the underside that curves back and up - when they curl their tail up it can pinch. Is it capable of seriously injuring you? Perhaps, just don't be silly and try to pull a bug out by it's tail. Come out to CA, we'll show you how it's done :)

Thank-you very much chaos. Very good information.

I don't think he is making it difficult at all. Some people on here,namely me, have similar questions. Let us go easy now. I would like to know as much about catching them as well.
Please would anyone who can be helpful add anything to it?

If he backs into a ledge or a large hole.. make sure he isn't sharing it with a green moray!
Look before you grab.

If he backs into a ledge or a large hole.. make sure he isn't sharing it with a green moray!
Look before you grab.

Good advice above.

I catch about 50% of my bugs by hand. Sometimes they just back into a hole and you need to get them out. I've been chased by a green eel, but I've been bitten 3 times last season by the white spotted eels. It's part of the cost when you choose to stick your hand in the hole, even when looking before. A fight will invite company. We don't use any of the scuba gloves, not even the kevlar expensive gloves. They just won't stop the 3 rows of teeth grabbing your hand.

Infection is what you should be concerned about, not the bruise from the bite. We all have switch to the medical waste, needle stick-proof kevlar gloves. They are HexArmour 9003 gloves and cost about $20 on line. The gloves have a series of micro plates that you can take a hypodermic needle to and it won't punch thru. They also have a semi-smooth surface coating that you will allow you to slide your fingers down the antenna to grab the knuckles. Most other kevlar gloves have a fabric or fuzzy surface on the finger tips.

It still scares the crud out of you when a spotted bites your hand, but you won't lose it and the teeth won't puncture your skin. Get the gloves you'll save yourself alot of time over infections, some of which can be very serious.

On the subject of hand catching, I've been doing this for 15 years and have caught thousands of bugs. By hand catching them out of the hole, you will just chase them around the reef, knocking down fans, plants and destroying the reef. You also will consume double the amount of your air and not be monitoring it as closely{ie bent}. Remember you only find a honey hole full of bugs when you have 500psi left, any hunter will tell you that.

If you don't want to carry a net, then carry a Oceanus Green Looper. That's what all the good bug hunters carry. It's fast, slim, and allows you to keep swimming and looking for more bugs. Catching bugs is easy, Finding them is the hard part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom