Question about getting lost under water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajcyang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys, I am a super newbie diver who just got my C-card last week.
I've been reading a lot of posts about people being lost under water and have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to be tied up with your buddy? maybe like a 3 -5 m lead. but for safety of each other

2. Instead of total navigation, would it be possible to have a lead from shore/ship and just follow the same lead back to starting point?

Thank you =)

Entanglement hazard.

Learning proper navigation is better. Being aware of your buddy's location is better. When all else fails, slowly and properly ascend to the surface to get your bearing.

In places where the visibility is extremely low, I've heard of people using a buddy line that both divers HOLD, to help keep them together. You would not want to tie it to either diver, because if it got caught in something underwater, you might not be able to get it loose. Except for the folks who go dig for fossils, I've never understood why anyone would dive in water that turbid. I dive to look at stuff . . . and I've done dives in viz that was down to a couple of feet (literally, you couldn't see a diver's head from his fins) and it's quite possible to stay together under those conditions. It requires a bit of discipline; one must learn to scan the environment every few seconds to reascertain everyone's whereabouts. But it's quite possible.

It is also possible to run a line (I assume that's what you mean by "lead") and dive along the line, but running line is a skill that requires good buoyancy control and a fair degree of comfort underwater, because if you mess with line you WILL get tangled in it, and have to extricate yourself or your buddy. I have done a number of dives on wrecks, where we ran line from the shot to the wreck, in order to refind the ascent line (and one memorable dive where we SHOULD have done that :) ).

But for the most part, because we dive to see stuff, we will dive on structure (reef or wall) that gives a pretty good reference for navigation. If you are shore diving, make sure you know the compass heading to shore, and swimming that way will get you back. Sites where the possible exit points are very narrow, and where the rest of the shoreline is subject to heavy surf or current, are not beginner dives, IMO.

definately what TSandM said. also depending on where you are diving, it may be led by a DM so keeping the DM in sight will help. But either way, plan your dive and listen to the briefing on the boat since they will tell you what's around, where generally you are going & how to get back to the boat, conditions, etc. Natural navigation is very good to expand to doing underwater :wink: you can always call the dive if you don't feel comfortable with the conditions

A buddy cord should always be held, never secured to the person of a diver. Also, the maximum length I have ever used is about 5 feet, and 3 feet is my preference. In good visibility or bad, I like to stay within fingertip touching distance of my buddy at all times. Navigation skills should be developed by all divers, to avoid "getting lost. Use of a compass, natural navigation aids like sunlight direction, sand ripples, etc. as well as navigating object to object, are all useful tools. In low viz diving compass work is even more important. Don't worry about getting lost. Dive within your limits, stay within touching distance of your buddy, especially in low visibility, and read all you can about underwater navigation, practice the skills, and take some continuing classes in that area. It is one of the most useful specialties you can take. Then practice, practice, practice.
DivemasterDennis

1. Is it possible to be tied up with your buddy? maybe like a 3 -5 m lead. but for safety of each other
It is possible to use something like a piece of rope to connect to your buddy. Just make sure that you can let go of it at any time. You may also want to discuss the situation of getting separated from your buddy before the dive starts. Questions like:
- What do you do when you find out that you got lost?
- How long will you search for each other before resurfacing?
- Maybe go back to land/shore if it's safer there?

Just make sure that even though you are connected you leave each other some space.

2. Instead of total navigation, would it be possible to have a lead from shore/ship and just follow the same lead back to starting point?
To lead divers from boat/shore is rather difficult. If you are not familiar with the divesite you may want to have a guide with you when you dive there the first time - or you connect somehow as described above. An other option would be to get a briefing from a guide who knows the area well and follow it as good as possible. if it works - ok. if not - don't try to find your way back underwater since you may be heading in the completely wrong direction ;-)

besides these comments - if you are trying to figure out what you should consider before doing a dive trip/diving holidays i wrote an article about that. if you are considering a liveaboard trip - there are a few points summarised in an article, too.

thom

Hey guys, I am a super newbie diver who just got my C-card last week.
I've been reading a lot of posts about people being lost under water and have a few questions.

Thank you =)

ajcyang,

Most lost bubbies is the result of bad buddy system management, primarily one bubby not paying attention to the other one and not having a plan before the dive if separation occurs what each bubby is going to do. Pretty much people just jumping into the water and hoping everything turns out right.

Talk with your buddy before each dive. Talk about swimming juxiposition to each other. Diving side by side with your buddy is much preferred to diving single file which seems to be used the most. Is it easier to watch someone from your peripheral vision than to have to keep looking back or underneath you. If one divers stops the other knows it immediately. If separation does occurs how long will each stay down before each surfaces, 30 secs, one minute?

As far as a lead from a ship/shore, I dove with a gentlemen who had a homing beacon and would deploy it on the boat so he could find his way back to the boat underwater. Interesting...so say the least. This guy loved it and another of our club members had one who was trying to sell his. I guess you will have to decide if that is something you might considered...it is all about your comfort level.

Wow thank you guys for all the informative answers.
I just want to make sure because I felt great responsibility to take care of my father whom got the C-card with me but is nearing his 60's. I want to be with him under the water if anything is wrong.

That's why I thought about having a rope, because I read about so many fatal accidents that could have been avoided if the buddies were able to find each other. Such as Agnes Milowka (Sanctum stunt double) and John Bennett. Both fantastic divers. And it's sad to see their passing.

good buddy skills first.....

However, that being said, we do use a buddy line (approx. 10') on our night river drifts. No, not a dive for the less experienced.... as said, it is NEVER fixed to the diver, you also have strategically placed cutting tools available, and know how to deploy and use them. Plan "B" & "C" also are understood.

If the viz is so bad that you can't keep contact with your buddy without the buddy line, the viz is too bad to see anything worth seeing anyway. Some dives really just aren't worth continuing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom