Question about Indonesian phinisi boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While patiently waiting in Labuan Bajo, I can see about 40+ liveaboards waiting for supplies and divers. Many liveaboards boats are wooden Phinisi designs. High quality first growth forests are mostly located in protected areas of western Kalimantan. Between 1985 and 2002, these carbon-rich forests have declined over 56%. Since 2001, forest cutting in Borneo has substantially increased.

Seeing the popularity of wooden boats in your part of the world, I have often wondered about the source. You know, I don't think I would feel bashful before booking one of these boats asking about when the boat was built and where the wood was obtained. In this day and age, it is surely a concern among some potential customers. Even if their answer was untruthful, at least they might start understanding this is a concern.

I was recently on the Samambaia, great boat and crew! I very much enjoyed the trip. The "dive deck" is right next to the stairs where you enter the tender. However they kept the gear in the tender. I never needed to go to my gear between dives but I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem.

What month did you go? My husband and another couple are planning to go in Sept 2020.

I absolutely love the Mermaid setup and I expect I will feel the same about the Blue Manta as well. I love three steps from the dive deck down to where you board the tender, and that lower deck is wide and long with showers. A few steps from the dive deck into your cabin.

It's beyond me why anyone would choose a wooden boat, but to each her own.

- Bill

It's beyond me why anyone would choose a wooden boat, but to each her own.
because the LDS had booked the spring re-positioning trip on her and it was so easy to just sign up. Not always easy to get on those.

While I can't find the whole English version online I watched the entire doco on Pindito with Edi and we had many many discussions about the state of the Indo LOB industry as it is now. Cannot help but raise an eyebrow reading this thread and others about LOBs in general in Indo. Boats with 4 poster beds and bath tubs, in this thread a pic of a hot tub - take a look at yourselves and ask how much you contributed to the problem. Hot Tubs seem to be a "deal breaker" to some (I've never seen a boat with one on and can't help but wonder WTF anyone would find enjoyable in sitting in chemically treated warm water for but hey, you may like them) Air Con is a "deal breaker", WANK FACTOR seems to some to play the sole role in choice of boat - seriously....4 poster beds and bath tubs. What will we get next - Lifts!

You wanted it, you got it...l played my part as well. I would never choose a steel LOB (Bill wooden boats when correctly designed often handle heavy sea conditions better, and they've been around for a few thousand years so they must be doing something Ok) nor would I ever choose a newly built Phinisi without checking its website thoroughly for information regarding what they are doing to reduce pollution/nods to sustainability/new generation engines etc.

Liveaboard diving in Indonesia looks set to become the industry that ate itself. Check how many 30% off! Last minute 50% off! banners are flying on dive travel webpages. We were so demanding we over supplied and saturated a market. And still they keep building more.

I choose Pindito and Tambora for a reason..and it isn't a hot tub. Before booking that nice shiny new perfectly laid out for every divers "wants" I'd give it a few years to see how/if it handles ocean crossings.

They're boats people, not floating resorts. Rant Over.

Very passionate response Wingy!

I certainly understand where you're coming from with hot tubs but what have you got against air conditioning? LOL

I'm an Australian :)

I guess unbearably hot for someone from Canada is a lot warmer than unbearably hot than someone from my climate. As an aside, last LOB I did I had to smile at two ladies with vastly different inner thermostats argue over what temp aircon should be set at...I'm not the only person to have slept in jumper and jeans it seems.

Back
Top Bottom