Question about learning deco procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AN/DP should be a 4 day course and you should go into it reasonably comfortable in either sidemount or doubles configuration. I teach out of High Springs and usually use Hudson Grotto as the last dive day for AN/DP

I notice you are also an IANTD instructor. Why do you promote AN/DP (the TDI combo) instead of IANTD Adv EANx? Thanks

I notice you are also an IANTD instructor. Why do you promote AN/DP (the TDI combo) instead of IANTD Adv EANx? Thanks

Actually, I'm also a NAUI Technical Instructor so you may also want to ask "Why do you promote AN/DP (the TDI combo) instead of NAUI Technical Decompression Diver" and the answer is that the way I structure and teach the course, I cover the same materials and skills no matter which agency the card is issued through. The bottom line is I use the phrase "AN/DP" in a very generic sense.

As a returning diver this is one of the big changes I have seen. When I first certified 20 odd years ago in Scotland we learned deco diving right from the start. It was part of our training and our tables went to 50m with multiple deco stops.

Since I have been reading up and getting back into it I couldn't really figure out where all this technique stuff came from. I guess I started out as a technical diver lol.

I guess it's the trade off for shortening and simplifying training

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I am interested in technical diving, though it will probably be quite a while until I get to that point. I guess I will be staying within NDL until I do get to that point though.

Don't mean to hijack the thread in anyway, but can anyone suggest good instructors for AN/DP in Tampa area or within central Florida?

AN/DP should be a 4 day course and you should go into it reasonably comfortable in either sidemount or doubles configuration. I teach out of High Springs and usually use Hudson Grotto as the last dive day for AN/DP, if I can be of assistance, please drop me a note. I can also recommend several people in the Crystal River / Tampa area as well.

@SJT1961

Ken Sallot is one of the top technical/cave diving instructors in the US. I'd would run and not just walk to take the referenced courses with him if I had the chance to be in the US. I know him through NAUI and his reputation as a leading tech./cave diving instructor with the highest standards is well known in NAUI.

It might meet the criteria for training, but a single is going to need to be huge if you want to do this type of diving

I could Using a 15L steel at 230bar make a 44m dive with 25min bottom and a bit of deco having a total time of 55mins. (according to my planner and my SAC and surface with 60 ish bar - in this case I'd take a 40cf pony

Real world though I wouldn't If I had to be in single tank BM I'd sling an 80 as a pony and even then have a 40 with 50%

For the record real world I'd be in SM with 2 steel 12l plus some slings - because I'm a huge fan of too much gas.

But in theory...

@SJT1961

Ken Sallot is one of the top technical/cave diving instructors in the US. I'd would run and not just walk to take the referenced courses with him if I had the chance to be in the US. I know him through NAUI and his reputation as a leading tech./cave diving instructor with the highest standards is well known in NAUI.
Thank you. That is a wonderful endorsement. Just what I was hoping to hear. I will be seeking Ken out when I get to that point.

I've searched for the answer to this but can't find it. Is there a rec diver course that teaches how to make deco dives? I have been taught to never violate NDL, but I know people do make deco dives. Is this something that is only taught in tech diving courses? I am specifically asking about deco dives that are within recreational depth limits.

I know that nitrox is an option to extend NDL. Honestly I'm still working on improving my trim/buoyancy/SAC that I don't get near NDL anyway.

Sports Diver

It takes more diving than something like AN/DP but is more ‘rounded’, less about deco and more about rescue, organising diving and gaining experience. It Is backgas only.

Sports Diver enables people to do the dives we have here.

For those of you not familiar with BSAC, Sports Diver = CMAS 2 Star = padi AOW + Rescue = NAUI Advanced + Rescue = SDI Adv. Adventurer + Rescue = SSI Adv. Adventurer + Stress & Rescue. The official depth limit for Sports Diver is 35m ... cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom