question about newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have met and taught many divers, and a basic thing for all divers to know is that some concerns to some people are different to others, like air consumption. 10 dives for an advanced diver may sound like nothing, but to a novice diver is an achievement, I myself have taught Open Water Courses to people that I have recommended to get more dives under their belt, I have also taught Open Water courses that after several dives, and great skills have gone to the walls in Cozumel Island, Diving although is a shared activity is a very personal sport, you should know yourself and as an dive buddy you should be able to recognize skills before agreeing on a deep dive, most shops in Cozumel insist on checking out any diver's skill before taking them to the more advanced and deeper dives.

why not just do the knowledge review and go with a instructor? Big difference between a instructor and a "veteran diver"

why not just do the knowledge review and go with a instructor? Big difference between a instructor and a "veteran diver"
What do you see that difference as being?

On my 14th open water dive I rescued my buddy at 85ft out of air with him trying to bolt to the surface. we were both certifed by the same instructor and the same agency standards and had exactly the same amount of dive time. It is up to that diver how they handel each situation. I went on to be an Instructor my buddy quit diving. He also encouraged me to become an Instructor and said he thought I would be a good one. After many many dives I don't see 100' as a deep dive but I do like it when I hear new divers call it a deep dive.

My question is since veteran divers are all too aware of newer divers having a high air consumption rate. How would you handle another veteran offering to take a newer diver to 100 feet and he has less then 10 logged dives? What if when you pointed out the potential hazards and the veteran insist it will be ok and the new diver cant be talked down???

First, I am not certain I would have the same initial reaction you do. As Thal said, depends on conditions, divers and plan. I would add equipment to that list.

If I had concerns, I would answer three questions:

1) Do I have any unique influence to trade on (or any special responisbility)? (For example, is it a close friend or relative? A co-worker?)

2) Am I a dive professional in a role of responsibility? Or in some other way formally tasked with controlling entry?

3) Are they part of my dive team?

If the answer is no, I would politely and briefly see if I could encourage each of them to re-think the dive. Then I would simply walk away and go about my business.

Why? Because I am not the safety diver for their group. I am not the dive police. People have the right to make what (IMHO) are foolish decisions.

And I can sleep at night because I tried to convince them and traded on any influence I had.

It being his 10th lifetime ever dive for one. Its kind of like to me driving a car. Would you put your 16 year old who just learned how to drive into a ford mustang cobra capable of almost 180 miles an hour as his first car?

Of course not. But I don't think this is the same thing. First, did you have a parental responsibility for/to the diver? Second, was the diver at an age where making mature decisions can sometimes be a challenge? Third, I don't think diving to 100FSW is anything near to going 185 mph.

Naturally, if I had a Cobra I would allow only very few drivers (and would never trust a new driver) to drive it!

I also think there is almost zero legal exposure here (Note: I am not an attorney). That said, if you are part of the dive team (and particularly if you are a DM or higher), you might have some exposure.

I think your heart is in the right place but people do hazardous things all of the time. Most of the time it is perfectly legal for them to do so. If I saw a newer rock climber doing something I considered unsafe, might I say something? Sure. But, if that fails, then what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom