question about newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a new diver, having less than 25 dives now. My OW check-off dives 3 & 4 were at the 75' depth. I am fortunate that I do not consume air fast and that I have good buoyancy control. The next day I was diving with a friend who is also a divemaster (5,ooo+ dives logged). We were diving for bugs near Jupiter, Florida. The dives sites that we went hunting were at 100' depth. I rocked! Not everyone will take to it as quickly or be fortunate enough to have a close friend be a mentor, but diving is an individual sport and you have to take responsibility for your abilities and be willing to say that you're not comfortable with a plan. If you are comfortable then you need to go forward knowing the risks.

I've got my goals and I'm working it out. Next dive is in 10 days!

Im glad things are working out for you! Hope to hear how well the next dive went!

Last summer had a friend do his OW and basic nitrox and by dive 10-12 he was doing 100 ft no problem. Great trim and buoyancy control. Also very conscious of NDL, MOD and gas consumption rate. Looked like he was born to do it. But I've also been paired up with the "advanced rescue diver" randomly on a boat that seems to be nothing more than a liability. Its all up to the person IMO.

Last summer had a friend do his OW and basic nitrox and by dive 10-12 he was doing 100 ft no problem. Great trim and buoyancy control. Also very conscious of NDL, MOD and gas consumption rate. Looked like he was born to do it. But I've also been paired up with the "advanced rescue diver" randomly on a boat that seems to be nothing more than a liability. Its all up to the person IMO.

I agree. I think I may have over reacted to it slightly but it was just that I was concerned for safety. After all diving is all about diving safely! :D

Yeah and your post 41 statement is ugly.
Sitting in on a post OW predominantly female hee hee hee course debrief with the owner, 2 instructors, 12-14 students. Most passed very well. One student male was told he would receive his ticket on the proviso that he join the next course for gear hire and air. Cool. Another privately asked the owner when he could do AOW and was told he didn't need it, would be able to wangle his way on to boats anyway and have a good diving life. Now thats cooler. I think he's broke now.
Is 100' included in AOW.
Was the veteran any less qualified than an instructor.
Keep your cotton wool in the bathroom. You speak as though they're going diving with a garden hose attatcched to an exhaust pipe and who gives a rats how many death messages you've delivered or are prempting. I may have delivered more.

Im glad things are working out for you! Hope to hear how well the next dive went!

I just realized this sounded diffrent then it was meant. so if it came out wrong I am sorry. I mean I hope to hear if the dive is a good one or not. I always look forward to hearing how dives go :) Sorry guys :)

Happy diving all

It may also have been me being frustrated having just read the entire post again? Knitting can be dangerous if you poke yourself with your needle. Who can you sue if it happens at home? Distracted by whoever was on the TV.

You are 100% right with that comment.

What you've described is the dreaded "Trust Me" dive.... the one where a more experienced buddy talks the newer diver into a dive he/she is not ready for.

k ellis, your heart is 100% in the right place, and I think what some of us are saying mainly is "It Just Depends" with regard to your original question.

A good mentor will NOT take a diver that is not ready down to 100 feet, regardless of whether the diver has 10 or 200 dives.

The problem often lies with the skill level of the mentor.... can the mentor safely supervise a new diver at 100' (or any depth for that matter)?

Best wishes.

Your absolutely right which is why I backed out of doing that dive myself. I just did not feel comfortable with diving with a newer diver with no exposure yet to that environment. The good news of it all was he came out ok which was a sigh of relief but then another newbie said "Lets go down and check out the inside of those caves" :shakehead:

Your absolutely right which is why I backed out of doing that dive myself. I just did not feel comfortable with diving with a newer diver with no exposure yet to that environment. The good news of it all was he came out ok which was a sigh of relief but then another newbie said "Lets go down and check out the inside of those caves" :shakehead:

I am a noob. 50-ish dives. I'm trying to be conservative. I know I've done some things I probably shouldn't have in past dives. Luckily I wasn't damaged physically. But I was scared pretty badly.

I was "encouraged" to do them by PADI instructors: and not always in class situations. I didn't ask them if they would cover my rear end should I get in trouble. I hoped they would have - but no guarantee.

I now know, thanks to ScubaBoard, that I need to ask questions and insist on my buddy being a buddy.

Please stop me if I ever say I want to "check out the inside of a cave".

Thanks. (like that's EVER gonna happen.)

Fifty depending on circumstance is lots and that envelope pushing has obviously shown you what not to do or how to do it better. Ever is better then never and then maybe creeps in.

I am a noob. 50-ish dives. I'm trying to be conservative. I know I've done some things I probably shouldn't have in past dives. Luckily I wasn't damaged physically. But I was scared pretty badly.

I was "encouraged" to do them by PADI instructors: and not always in class situations. I didn't ask them if they would cover my rear end should I get in trouble. I hoped they would have - but no guarantee.

I now know, thanks to ScubaBoard, that I need to ask questions and insist on my buddy being a buddy.

Please stop me if I ever say I want to "check out the inside of a cave".

Thanks. (like that's EVER gonna happen.)

Caves can be interesting just respect them for what they are. get the training and get a good dive buddy thats also well trained. Ive personaly never went into a cave but love caverns.

Also remember there are 2 reasons instructors encourage things. One reason is many instructors want you to have a fun and enjoyable experience but 2 is there are a few select instructors who are only in it for the money. Make sure you pick your instructors wisely :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom