Question about padi cert for kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianM

Contributor
Reaction score
My daughter just got her OW cert thru a local PADI shop in Northern California and I just got her card in the mail. The card says:

"JR OPEN WATER DIVER 10/11 with parent/PADI PRO 12m/40', 12+ with adult".

I knew under 12 certification was sort of a "restricted cert" and you could only dive with parents or instructors, but I am curious why they have the 12+ restriction since it doesn't say a certain depth limit or how old she has to be before the restriction is removed? It is just for curiousity really, she is only going to be diving with me anyhow, but I am a little surprised. Are all 12 year olds given this cert?

My son received the same sort of restricted PADI cerification card, when he turned 11, in the Summer of 2004. Fourteen months later, he earned his NAUI advanced open water cerification card (at age 12). It is labeled "Advanced Junior Scuba Diver" but it does not identify any specific restrictions. I hope this helps.

that is interesting...my daughter has the same cert. My understanding is that she's restricted to diving WITH parents to 40 feet at age 10 and 11, and has to dive with a PADI pro and restricted to 60 feet from 12-15. But I'm not a PADI pro so I don't know for sure. Hopefully one will chime in. Incidentally, when we took her diving, we only had her temp C-card as she'd just been certified. We didn't realize there was a to 40 feet restriction...we thought it was 60 feet and that was where we dove most of the week. Oops. :) She was fine, tho. Awesome little fishy girl! :)

This should have been covered in your OW course. The standards are also listed in the Go Dive manual. Children 10 and 11 must dive with a PADI pro OR a PADI certified parent/guardian to no more than 40'. 12-15 year olds may dive with any PADI certified adult to 60'. At 15, they can upgrade to a regular OW cert.

Hope this helps clear it up.

xSandman3:
This should have been covered in your OW course. The standards are also listed in the Go Dive manual. Children 10 and 11 must dive with a PADI pro OR a PADI certified parent/guardian to no more than 40'. 12-15 year olds may dive with any PADI certified adult to 60'. At 15, they can upgrade to a regular OW cert.

Cool, thanks for the replies. I never knew about the 12+ restriction, so it kind of surprised me to see that on the card. Do you have to do anything after age 15 to get a regular OW cert? She just turned 13 and knowing her, she will be itching to get the regular OW as soon as she can.

BrianM:
Do you have to do anything after age 15 to get a regular OW cert? .
Yes Send PADI some MORE $$$$
I belive its $30.00

IMHO there is no need to change to a new card...she'll likely want to do the Advanced Course or a specialty and I'd just use that. Unless she wants the new card and you are willing to pay for it - it doesn't "get" you anything.

xSandman3:

So if the PADI certified parent/guardian is the childs buddy, who is the parent/guardians buddy? Is solo diving with duty to rescue now promoted? Interesting concept.

spstar:
Yes Send PADI some MORE $$$$
I belive its $30.00

Ahh thanks for that info... I got OW certified when I was 12 and I still carry that card around with me. I wouldn't mind getting another one or just advancing my cert. That way I can retire my card :D

devilfish:
So if the PADI certified parent/guardian is the childs buddy, who is the parent/guardians buddy? Is solo diving with duty to rescue now promoted? Interesting concept.

Excellent point, and just one of a few reasons why kids should not get certified at this age. Well, at least I won't do it for any amount (of cash OR whining).

Of course this is the era of getting everyone involved at any cost or risk, cause we gotta get that money to the agency somehow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom