Question about removing first stage underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001 once bubbled...

...... Seems to me that it's a good idea to purge as you open the pillar valve if you were to do this.

R..

Excellent point. When I put the reg back on my valve later on that day and turned on the air, of course I took a breath to make sure it was working. I'll never do that again! I got a lung full of water.....

Doof once bubbled...
I was just reading the thread in which SeaJay reported on his DIR-F class, and I read this:

Wouldn't water get trapped in the connection between the valve and first stage? Or no? If so, wouldn't that cause problems with the regulator? I was under the impression that water in the first stage was a Bad Thing (tm). I guess I'm wrong?

I've replaced K valve o-rings (other people's, although someone did it for me once) underwater a few times. It's not good for a reg, but nothing an annual service won't remedy.

I sure wouldn't do it without good reason.

I imagine Andrew wasn't too concerned about fresh water. I'd rather have quarry water in a reg than pool water.

Amphibious once bubbled...
I'll chime in and say "ONLY" as a last resort. It can be done quite easily, but I don't want to put my regs through that kind of hell.

you'll fry your SPG or any air-integrated computer if you shoot water down the HP hose. Fix = $$$

Willer

Willer, are you sure about that? I honestly have no idea myself, but you'd think that the equipment companies should have a reasonable expectation of moisture in a reg at some point, even if it's from inside a poorly maintained tank...

I've rarely rebuilt a customer's reg that didn't have some degree of evidence that water had been present at one time or another.

Popeye - Vapor and small droplets that condense int he reg don't seem to bother it much, but a blast of liquid can damage the delicate parts of an air integrated comp.

(or so "they" tell me, I'm no expert)

Willer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom