Question about rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's required for a tech pass.

Hmmm, if you actually look at the course materials, they state quite literally: "all skills above (with the exception of skills 19 and 20, which are optional) require a grade of 4 or above for full qualification". The optional skills 19 and 20 referred to above are the rescue techniques and backup light deployment. Course materials are not the only data point I based my post on.

If u read the standards and practices it's pretty clear in the tech pass portion that u have to demonstrate the rescue techniques. It's all in the pdf on the gue website

https://www.globalunderwaterexplore..._and_Procedures/GUE-Standards-v7.2.pdf#page27

You might want to consider the possibility that standards have evolved since you took the class... I took mine about a month ago, and that document appears to be very much out of date. There are a whole number of other things in it that appear to contradict my recent experience. For example, the document states that "skills 14-18 must be graded as a 3 or higher", whereas in my class, it was stated that ALL the skills have to be graded 4 or higher, and indeed, that's what was enforced (if it were not, I'd be holding a tech pass right now). I based my post on verbal statements of my instructor, materials presented in the course, the presence of instructor evaluator in the room throughout the class, and first-hand knowledge of who did what, and what outcome they graduated with. Anyhow, I just tried to help by responding to OP's question, I don't have much interest in winning this debate... let a GUE instructor chip in, and clear it up for OP's sake...

You might want to consider the possibility that standards have evolved since you took the class... I took mine about a month ago, and that document appears to be very much out of date. There are a whole number of other things in it that appear to contradict my recent experience. For example, the document states that "skills 14-18 must be graded as a 3 or higher", whereas in my class, it was stated that ALL the skills have to be graded 4 or higher, and indeed, that's what was enforced (if it were not, I'd be holding a tech pass right now). I based my post on verbal statements of my instructor, materials presented in the course, the presence of instructor evaluator in the room throughout the class, and first-hand knowledge of who did what, and what outcome they graduated with. Anyhow, I just tried to help by responding to OP's question, I don't have much interest in winning this debate... let a GUE instructor chip in, and clear it up for OP's sake...

if the S&P are not up to date (doubtful) then that's a question for panos. anyhoo, no debate here. just saying that I believe you need to demonstrate unconscious diver to pass at the tech level

Now you have me curious as I do not want to provide false information, regardless of the classes that I have taken. So I watched FB and waited for the first instructor that I am friends with to pop online (who also posts from time to time here on Scubaboard). I asked him to take a look and he said he will.

if the S&P are not up to date (doubtful) then that's a question for panos. anyhoo, no debate here. just saying that I believe you need to demonstrate unconscious diver to pass at the tech level

I took fundies pretty recently and my experience concurs with kr2y5. Was given a tech pass rating but I did not learn rescue during the course. I learned it through a diving buddy.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:07 PM ----------

While waiting for an instructor to chime in, may I ask 2 more questions regarding the rescue techniques.

One of the steps involves stepping on the fins and pulling the unconscious diver somewhat upright to dump both his wing and drysuit. The way I was shown you swim horizontally on top of the diver and step on his fins and then try to pull him up. However, I found this very hard to do, as firstly it's quite hard to step on the fins if he has gas in the feet and it's floating. Secondly, how do you pull him up when you are in the horizontal position? Do you push off the ground? There is nothing to push off from.

I took some UTD courses before, and they taught to lightly depress the purge button to maintain positive pressure in the victim's mouth so that water will not get in. Is there any value in doing this in a rescue situation?

Personally I wouldn't try to describe in words on Scubaboard, what I learned experientially in multiple GUE classes. A-It would not do the learning justice and B-I'd probably miss something or another. That's why I take the classes.

I will say there was no stepping on fins or purging of regulator in the GUE classes I took.

I took fundies pretty recently and my experience concurs with kr2y5. Was given a tech pass rating but I did not learn rescue during the course. I learned it through a diving buddy.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 05:07 PM ----------

While waiting for an instructor to chime in, may I ask 2 more questions regarding the rescue techniques.

One of the steps involves stepping on the fins and pulling the unconscious diver somewhat upright to dump both his wing and drysuit. The way I was shown you swim horizontally on top of the diver and step on his fins and then try to pull him up. However, I found this very hard to do, as firstly it's quite hard to step on the fins if he has gas in the feet and it's floating. Secondly, how do you pull him up when you are in the horizontal position? Do you push off the ground? There is nothing to push off from.

I took some UTD courses before, and they taught to lightly depress the purge button to maintain positive pressure in the victim's mouth so that water will not get in. Is there any value in doing this in a rescue situation?

Stepping on flippers? Nah dawg. Get behind them, open suit valve, dump YOUR wing, and inflate/ride their wing to the surface. Reason? If you lose them, at least their trajectory is up and not down deeper. You're in a position to regain positive buoyancy and go get em.

Purging the reg isn't going to be helpful. Holding the reg in place is helpful though.

I've not got loads of time to answer this one, but:
Management of an unconscious diver is a requirement for a tech pass at fundies.
Students are required to perform at a level 4 to achieve a tech pass
The level 4 performance is relevant to a fundies class. The scale changes as you go further through the curriculum.

I'm reality the instructors know what a Tech pass or Rec pass looks like. If you look like a Tech pass, then you get a tech pass.

I'll try and look in again, but I'm crazy busy at the moment.

Thanks
John

---------- Post added June 20th, 2015 at 12:37 PM ----------

Oh, and stepping on fins? Nah.

I will say from personal experience that it is difficult to retrieve an "unconscious diver" whose dry suit legs are full of air and pointing straight up. You have to be able to get sufficiently negative to push them back down, and if your instructor has insisted that you remove the 7 pound v-weight you carefully determined that you NEED with your setup, AND you have had a prolonged dive and your tanks are below thirds, you may not be able to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom